CVT Mesh CVT to a Jackshaft (Gear-to-Gear)

corim123

Local time
3:56 PM
Okay so I need to reverse the rotation coming from my engine and the easiest way seems to be via a jackshaft and to have it mesh directly with the output of the CVT. Does anybody think this would be problematic or have a better implementation? If I use chain to connect those it won't end up turning it around so I can't really think of another solution besides this.

A jackshaft isn't going to reverse the direction. It is just an extra (usually bearing mounted) shaft with a pair of sprockets/pulleys, used for additional reduction.

Here's a link to a go-kart version.

I have been thinking about this since you posted and I had an idea that might be better than simply meshing 2 sprockets as if they were gears. I know that sourcing gears is more difficult that sprockets.

I think that if you mesh 2 sprockets together it will be very noisy and wear out quite fast.

I don't know if there are gotchas with this idea.

But maybe this would be ok for a low power application.

What I was thinking is perhaps you could use a standard sprocket as the driver, and then select a size of sprocket for your driven that an appropriate chain could wrap all the way around (ie an even number of teeth???).

Then grind the teeth on the driven sprocket completely off or almost completely off, wrap your chain around the resulting disk and weld the *******s together.

If my logic is sound you should end up with a sprocket meshed to chain links that will rotate the jack shaft in the opposite direction, because the sprocket is designed to work with a chain it should last longer and be quieter than simply meshing 2 sprockets as if they were gears.

Just a random idea, at your own risk etc, etc

Well, three sprockets (one of which is an idler) could reverse the direction. Ref the sketch below. But, since only a few teeth on the driven sprocket would be engaged, you'd get faster sprocket wear than if the chain wrapped around much of the sprocket...

Attachments

• RevJackshaft.png
    RevJackshaft.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 639
I don't know why you need to reverse direction. The cvt does this and turns the wheel in the right direction, if you mount the motor from the left side.

Back