My first build....

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!lsE5ZUojfCgBOfQmTtt3Q~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!lsE5ZUojfCgBOfQmTtt3Q~~60_3.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 387
  • china_motor.jpg
    china_motor.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 324
Last week I had to go out of town as my buddy was getting leave from Afghanistan. This is the only time I will get to see him this year. I now need to get back to work on this. I am hoping to get the engine mounted this month.

So I got the studs but as I was replacing the old ones. I grabbed the cylinder by the sleeve and forget for a second that it was bolted. So the sleeve slipped up and the piston fell out of it. I am now trying to put the piston back into the sleeve but the rings. I can not get the rings in the cylinder sleeve. Does anyone have a tip about this?

you will need a ring compressor.....or you will have to squeeze the rings together, one at a time with your fingers to compress them, as you work the piston back into the cylinder.
i think you should be able to compress one ring at a time with your fingers and work the cylinder back down over them. If i'm right, the cylinder sleeve should have a notch in it at the bottom, and you can work the piston back into the cylinder by having your fingers line up with that slot as you try to slide it back in. put a little oil on the rings to avoid scratching the cylinder sleeve.
I've never gone this far, but I'm pretty sure it can be done without any special tools.

motorphyco is right on. you could also try to compress the rings by using a radiator hose clamp if you can fit it in. Oil it up good, squeeze the rings in, the gently tap the piston into the jug or the jug onto the piston. Keep trying, it can be done.
good luck

I got it with the help of a piece of thick plastic.I wrapped it around the piston to compress the rings and slid the cylinder sleeve on it. Then just pulled the plastic out from the top. I tried using my fingers for hours but I just don't have the control or power like I used to.

SO for the next few days. When I am given the time and enough spoons to get her mocked-up. Starting with sanding and paint. I am going with a flat black for most of the bike. I will post pictures of this later as I do this.

Back