help with my currie motor

Okay so what replacement motors are there that fit the rear currie mount? I can deal with batts later, thanks.
Hope this entry is not too late. I had 14 of those Schwinn scooters at one time (don't ask, I tend to go overboard on things). From a 24V S180 to the 36V S750 up to the 36V Stealth 1000. The best site for my needs was http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/trsc.html. No disrespect to other sites, Monster seemed to have the largest selection and good overall prices.
Batteries NEVER were a good deal for me online. The SLA's were a fair price, but the shipping KILLS you. Local battery distributor in your town will beat the online prices if you figure in the cost of shipping. Plus, when I bought in bulk (10 or more) they always lowered the price.
If you are still interested in this set up, PM me and I will be happy to send my spreadsheet of all the WEB sites, product comparisons, helpfulness... (told you I go overboard)

TheJimGuy

It's a Ezip Trails diamond frame mens mountain bike. It works well though the motor is noicy and its also a 450 watt brushed motor too which worries me a lot. So it's definitely not their scooter. Replacing a lithium battery from them for a 15 mile range and 8 hours charging time costs about 400 bucks. I might pull the entire system and install a motored brushless hub kit. I wanted mainly range more then speed as 20mph is fine enough for a bike, but if a more powerful motor is there, I can easily live with that too. I had found a youtube video showing how to cut wires and wire in a lithium battery but there forums are deemed an attack site online. As for the other site a gentleman posted for currie addons, it mentions that their 1000 brushless kit is not meant for newer currie bikes only older ones which leaves me back at square one. I am thinking probably best to pull the currie system and upgrade the bike to a newer brushless hub kit. My experience so far with Clean Republic's Hilltopper 250watt on my trike project has actually proved pretty good. It moves the trike to around 18mph so I am quite impressed by that. I would suspect a two wheeler would be around 20mph and the battery has a fast charger with recharge times of about 2 hours. They also sell a long range 20 mile battery, so this might be the way to go. The only drawbacks to the hilltopper is it is a red button. No TAG or PAS system, no twist throttle. More expensive hub systems though have those features.

Well on my Trailz, it still remains is there an aftermarket Ezip Battery replacement other than currie to get a lithium battery with longer range going?

Here are a few web sites (not including ebay):
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/eziptrailz.html
http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Technologies-24-Volt-Bicycle-Battery/dp/B002RR7RD2/ref=pd_sim_sg_1
http://www.electricscooterparts.com/eziptrailzmenselectricbicycleparts.html

From what I gather, and understand that I do not have your kind of bike to prove this, it seems that your battery pack houses two 12V 9 or 10a/h SLA batteries. If this is the case, your bes bet is to buy in bulk at a local battery warehouse. I have been able to get the batteries for as low as $27 each when I bought 10. As for the LiOn, same suggestion.
Hooking another battery in series will increase your voltage (range) without changing the Amps (power). Or get a second pack and install a changeover switch. One pack runs low, switch to the other one.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The amps on the entire pack is 10a/h so I am presuming it is actually 2 5 amp batts, right? I know it is a 24 v system though the 450 watt brushed motor is said to be able to handle 48v.

I think the amp/hour rating is for charging. Batteries can deliver a very high current when you short them out so really it depends on the load resistance (the ohms of the motor). The amount of amps is the voltage divided by the resistance in ohms. So as an example, 48 volts divided by 4 ohms is 12 amps.

The Currie packs have 2-12v 10ah SLA batteries hooked in series. The amps do not change when hooked in series only voltage. Hence 24v 10ah. ah=amp hours. Draw 1 amp from the batteries in one hour and total usage would be 10 hours. The manufacturer of the batteries is Innovative Battery Technology. It's not a real good idea to run the motor at 48v. The life of these motors would be greatly reduced. The controllers will handle 48v no sweat but the motors won't.

Just as a side note more amps=more range, more volts=faster rotation speed. I do not know of any direct replacement for the SLA batteries in lithium. It's possible there are some, but a little web surfing or checking on endless sphere may come up with better results.

Last edited:
I upped my 24v system to 36v and it ran fine every day for a year. It improved acceleration and speed but the increased voltage caused increased current usage at full throttle so it actually decreased my range. Increasing the voltage requires an equal percentage increase in the amp-hour capacity.

Don't mean to sound anal jaguar but you increased to 36v not 48v. As i said before the motors will not handle 48v for very long. Trust me on this one.

Back