help with my currie motor

seems my batteries at a tad over 6 months only hold a three maybe four mile range. I had heard that this is the case with curries batteries. I did find a youtube video that shows how to replace them with a 36v lithium in the case. I might spring for a set of new lithium batteries not sure yet. Depends on what their costs are and how cheap I can fiund one. Probably will see if I can update that currie motor too. Too bad there aren't more currie people up here to discuss it.

Okay, that settles the battery issue I suppose. Brings up two additional questions. What motor options for replacement of the curry motor exist and then which power battery setup that give range. I am mainly interested in extending the range rather than the speed. 20mph is plenty fast enough, but the range right now down to 3miles is way too short. I understand the volts mean speed and then amps mean distance, do I have that right?

The battery you put on it should be at the normal voltage and current capacity for your motor. Less voltage or current means it won't get you up to top speed. The wattage rating (AH) determines how far you can go before needing a recharge.

Okay good too know then. So I think my currie trailz is a 450 not too sure. It is a brushed motor and I had hoped mainly to bolt in place a replacement that was brushless and lasted longer. It is a 24v system.

so back to my original comments. Is there a brushless currie motor replacement available for my ezip?

Thank you very much Neon. That 1000 watt motor looks tempting. Paired up with a higher amp battery setup I can see it now. I'll probably just settle on a smaller brushless setup though and controller replacement though that 1000 watt is mighty tempting.

I want to personally say thanks to both Neon and Jaguar here for informing me what I must do to upgrade my now slowing bike. Without your guys input, I never would have been pointed in the right direction. The speed is okay at 20, it is the range I am shooting for here and a replacement motor that won't get too hot or burn out should I choose to upgrade later to a higher wattage battery-my option. I still want to electrify a stingray though. Been wanting to maybe do an old Schwinn Orange Krate as a project.

There's a few places out there that have larger currie motors. http://www.thesuperkids.com seem to carry a lot of different motors. If you want a brushless motor you'll have to replace the controller as well.

They have a blurb up that their 100 watt motor won't work with newer Currie bikes, only older ones. I have a men's diamond frame Trailz. Mainly 20mph is plenty fast enough. What I need to do soon is upgrade the batteries. Am looking for maybe a replacement to the curries system. I might pull it and go for a brushless motor hub and then a lithium long range battery. I honestly love the Hilltopper I installed on the trike. I am thinking that with a longer range battery this would be an ideal replacement. There is also a 550watt hub system out there. Probably faster speeds, but like I said before, 20 is plenty fine for me. BTW the hilltopper has a battery with a 20 mile range they claim. Still waiting for clean republic to ship my battery charger for the kit which they neglected to send me.

Back