Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Default help with my currie motor

Hello guys i came across this site whilst trying to find out a little more about my currie motor.
    At present its fitted to my cluad butler' i will find a picture of my bike so you can have a better look later but this link below looks identical to my motor.
    http://www.electric-bikes.com/scoote...html#Technical Specifications
    its 24v with the batterys in a canvas bag which slides into the rack on the back with thumb throttle. it was originally on a bike that my father had locked away in his shed for years' so i decided to buy new batterys and fit it on my cluad butler.
    i'm really pleased with it' i do use it for work and its great but like everything i want to make it better and faster with longer runs between charges
    hope i havent gone on to much is this in the correct place or should i make a new post thanks again guys hope you can help

Thanks

only way to go longer between charges is not running at full power (but that is boring)

Thanks

With electric power volts=power/speed and amps=range. To go faster go to 36 volts by adding another 12volt battery in series. BE WARNED, some motors that are built for 24 volts can handle an increase to 36 volts and do fine with it, others will burn up instantly/very soon. You should contact the maker and ask if your motor can handle increased voltage. To go farther get a battery/batteries with more amps by adding another battery in parallel or buying a new battery set with higher amperage.

Be aware, there is no free lunch here. More volts/amps will mean a heavier battery pack which will take more power to accelerate and move up hills. There is a gain with a heavier more powerful battery, but also a slight loss due to increased weight. Sooner or later you run into the law of diminishing returns where a bigger, heavier battery will overload your present motor so you will need a bigger more powerful motor. Power and weight and range are always a compromise in electric vehicles.

Batteries can be wired together in 2 ways, series or parallel. Learn what that means and how it can be used for more voltage or more amperage.

Pedalling to assist the motor, especially during acceleration or when climbing hills, is a good way to extend range. It also lightens the weight of the rider and increases the rider's power over time, both of which improve performance.

Thanks

Thats for that all very good information
    been thinking about this for a while as you can imaginge and have basicly 3 things to do
    1. contact the supplier and ask if the motor will handle 36v but unfortunatly theres no info on the motoer
    2.wire the batteries in parallel for more distance
    3.change sprocket on motor for 9 teeth i'm not 100% about this but did read something relating to the currie motor a while back
    more digging required i'm in no rush i think i will wait for the nicer more sunny days

Thanks

There is not very much to do with your current set-up than what has been suggested above. I don't know how fast , or how far you want to go, but don't expect a 50% improvement in speed & distance , just because you added 50% more battery voltage. With a 24v system, if you happen to be overweight, it drastically affects it. Fresh batteries , pedal more, & learn to live with it, is my suggestion.

Thanks

Could also run the motor through the rear derailleur gears if you have them. This is not exactly the easiest thing to do though.

Thanks

The currie motor has its own sprocket on the hub. I have a mens Trailz about 6 months old. Am wondering if it uses a brush motor or brushless? If so, I have considered maybe adding a bigger brushless motor and maybe a battery with more juice in the existing case. Thoughts? Been a great bike so far.

Thanks

Brushed motor. Probably 450 watt. Bigger is almost always better. I'm not touching the subject of batteries with a ten foot pole.
    Last edited by Neon; 05-11-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks

Okay so what replacement motors are there that fit the rear currie mount? I can deal with batts later, thanks.

Thanks

You could also try skinnier tires, but expect a harsher ride.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast