2012 In Frame, 4-Stroke, Build-Off

EZ Motorbike Company is sponsering this event and will supply plaques for the winners. This is our way of saying thanks to everyone for outstanding support of EZM.

Rules for the EZM 2012 four-stroke in frame build-off:

1. Only 4-stroke motors [any size, age, or brand], and must be mounted in-frame.
2. Any 4-stroke motor or kit can enter, NOT limited to EZ Motorbike kits or Q-Matic drives.
3. Must document start of build with pictures.
4. Must post which class you are entering.
5. Will start now, and end on American holiday 4th of July 2012
6. Any build started but not completed can enter
7. Existing bikes undergoing major changes can enter [different type or style motor, different frame, etc]
8. EZM will not judge contest, but ask others to do so.
9. Entry must be completed before July 5, 2012
10. Production motorbikes not eligible [Whizzer, Tomos, etc]
11. Any one in any country can enter, not just America.

Five Classis:
Cruiser
Stretch cruiser
MTB
Vintage [bike must be older than 1980 or American made]
Whizzer [Vintage or New Edition]

A few comments:
We will add a Whizzer class, however only certain versions of the kit can enter.
NO factory-produced bikes are eligible. The following cannot be entered. Any vintage Whizzer Sportsman, Pacemaker, Ambassador, or Whizzer special. Another example of Whizzers not eligible would be a restored vintage Schwinn WZ/S4, as this would be considered "Restoring", not a new build, as the bike was made for the Whizzer motor kit. Can not enter the following New Edition Whizzers..1999 Classic, 2000 Sportsman, 2001 Pacemaker II, 2002 Pacemaker II, 2003 Panther, 2004 - 2007 NE5, 2007 Ambassador I, 2008 Ambassador II, and 2008 -2009 NE-r.

Whizzers that can enter. Any bike with a Whizzer motor kit [vintage or new edition] installed on a bicycle [Schwinn, Roadmaster, Huffy, Murray, etc.]. Any Whizzer produced bicycle with a non-Whizzer motor.

This is a Build-Off, and must be built from scratch. Use simple logic to see if your bike is acceptable. An example would be to use a Whizzer bike and install a 49 CC 4-stroke motor, or use a Whizzer motor on a non-Whizzer frame. If you have a 2-stroke motor on a bike and install a 4-stroke motor, this would be allowed. If a current bike were being upgraded with a different motor type or style [installing a 79 or 99 CC 4-stroke motor in place of a smaller 35 or 49 CC 4-stroke] would be OK. If a bike were being converted from a rack mount to an in frame 4-stroke motor it would be acceptable. Minor changes on an existing bike such as tank, wheels, lights, paint, drive systems, same motor style only larger or smaller, brand, etc. aren't acceptable.

Hopefully this will offer an equal playing field for the DIY builder. If anyone needs more information about the rules, please contact me. We are still waiting to see who will judge the event, however we can get started, and as a last resort we will use the same judging system used on a previous Build-Off. [Voting by members].

Lets have a lot of fun, see some exciting ideas, and put a few more 4-stroke in-frame bikes on the road.

Just start posting information and pictures.

Have fun,

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a great guy (deceased member) John Foss "Irish John" who if he would have been here would have been in this build off. "Of course" he is unable to enter and enjoy this competition but he was just coming into his own in the building world. I'm adding this link in "respect" to a great Motoredbikes.com builder. I know, in a strange kind of way he is joining this thread as inspiration to those working hard building some very sweet bikes.

"Irish John"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=tknGlc0bjgA

Yep! John sure would be saying something ! My build was almost complete then....I stripped it down and repainted it and did some long darts on the frame.Looks pretty good for a first timer.Pix to follow!

my build

HI
Class:Stretch Cruiser long and low
Start Date:April 2012
This is my first 4 stroke motor.

I would have entered the build off 2 months ago but my computer was broken so I just took pictures and am uploading them now. I'm starting with a 24" beach cruiser. The 24" frame is very old and different, and I used this frame because the dimensions are perfect for my motor. I have 4 other frames and the motor would not fit any of them; I even tried my 2 stroke motor, and it wouldn't fit the 24" frames either. I also tried other 24" frames, but it was not happening. I have had this frame for over 14 years, so I have no pictures from when I first got it. The "before" pictures that I have uploaded are of a Huffy, which is almost the same thing. I am doing this just to give you an idea of what the frame looked like before I started.

Attachments

• 7.png
    7.png
    472.4 KB · Views: 870
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:
my build

I'm starting out with a template with cardboard. I wanted a unique design and once I was satisfisd with my template I installed the motor. It was a very tight fit. I was going to install the chrome air filter so I cut the seatpost and 3 days later I started the welding.

Attachments

• 11048.jpg
    11048.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 829
  • 11050.jpg
    11050.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 816
  • 11049.jpg
    11049.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 823
  • after weld 2.jpg
    after weld 2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 852
  • after  weld.jpg
    after weld.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 834
Hi,

I wish to enter my bike in the cruiser class.

I work at UPS and arrange most of the shipments for EZ Motorbike Company. After years of printing labels and doing the paperwork for Quenton at EZ Motorbike I just had to see what was in all those boxes. After a brief trip to Manns Harbor, NC and a short ride on one of Quentons motorbikes I was hooked.

Quenton suggested I build my own motorbike and enter this Build off.

Danuel

Attachments

• Mvc-388f.jpg
    Mvc-388f.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 817
  • Mvc-391f.jpg
    Mvc-391f.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 833
  • Mvc-390f.jpg
    Mvc-390f.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 811
  • Mvc-395f.jpg
    Mvc-395f.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 825
Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Due to several requests we are extending the completeion date from July 4, 2012 to Labor Day.

The final date to enter your build will be September 3, 2012.

We wish to thank everyone for entering the 2012 Build-Off, and will be requesting pictures of several of the entries to print on the awards.

Have fun,

The build continues

I welded a piece of metal to the bottom bracket so I can attach a nicer chain guard, the original chain guard attached underneath. Here are some pictures of the frame after many many hours of work, but it was worth it.

P.S. Now that the build off is extended I'm going to do some extra details to the bike.

Attachments

• bondo.jpg
    bondo.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 786
  • 1.gif
    1.gif
    84.3 KB · Views: 804
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 804
  • 11066.jpg
    11066.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 783
  • 11067.jpg
    11067.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 764
  • 11068.jpg
    11068.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 802
Good News to hear it has been extended, its great to see some new builds and summertime is great for motorbiking. My Bike is running great!!! Fathers day got me the seat I wanted, just ordered it today. the bike will be out of commission for a couple days while the mounts are welded on. This bike is far from finished, still need to find a crimper for the stays, worksman rear drum, felt forks, some mounts welded in, and motor work and powdercoating this winter. its never going to be finished, but thats the fun. Here is the seat I ordered with black stitching.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/thechainshoppe/btrseat2.jpg

The build continues

Before I start painting I installed the forks,front and back wheels in the motor to see if I needed to make any changes, But my measurements were on point. The next step was paint.

Attachments

• paint4.jpg
    paint4.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 723
  • paint5.jpg
    paint5.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 715
  • paint3.jpg
    paint3.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 725
  • bike 1.png
    bike 1.png
    447.5 KB · Views: 772
  • before.png
    before.png
    449.9 KB · Views: 776
  • 6.png
    6.png
    134.9 KB · Views: 758
  • 2.png
    2.png
    135 KB · Views: 761
  • 3.png
    3.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 770
An orderly work bench is a sign of a diseased mind. I've always tried to keep my bench out of my pictures (it's always cluttered) but not anymore! LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
My new seat arrived and the brackets need to be welded on, here is a pic of the dry fit, the seat post needs a trim of about 1/2 inch to get the mounts where I want them.

0702120913-00.jpg

Back