2012 In Frame, 4-Stroke, Build-Off

EZ Motorbike Company is sponsering this event and will supply plaques for the winners. This is our way of saying thanks to everyone for outstanding support of EZM.

Rules for the EZM 2012 four-stroke in frame build-off:

1. Only 4-stroke motors [any size, age, or brand], and must be mounted in-frame.
2. Any 4-stroke motor or kit can enter, NOT limited to EZ Motorbike kits or Q-Matic drives.
3. Must document start of build with pictures.
4. Must post which class you are entering.
5. Will start now, and end on American holiday 4th of July 2012
6. Any build started but not completed can enter
7. Existing bikes undergoing major changes can enter [different type or style motor, different frame, etc]
8. EZM will not judge contest, but ask others to do so.
9. Entry must be completed before July 5, 2012
10. Production motorbikes not eligible [Whizzer, Tomos, etc]
11. Any one in any country can enter, not just America.

Five Classis:
Cruiser
Stretch cruiser
MTB
Vintage [bike must be older than 1980 or American made]
Whizzer [Vintage or New Edition]

A few comments:
We will add a Whizzer class, however only certain versions of the kit can enter.
NO factory-produced bikes are eligible. The following cannot be entered. Any vintage Whizzer Sportsman, Pacemaker, Ambassador, or Whizzer special. Another example of Whizzers not eligible would be a restored vintage Schwinn WZ/S4, as this would be considered "Restoring", not a new build, as the bike was made for the Whizzer motor kit. Can not enter the following New Edition Whizzers..1999 Classic, 2000 Sportsman, 2001 Pacemaker II, 2002 Pacemaker II, 2003 Panther, 2004 - 2007 NE5, 2007 Ambassador I, 2008 Ambassador II, and 2008 -2009 NE-r.

Whizzers that can enter. Any bike with a Whizzer motor kit [vintage or new edition] installed on a bicycle [Schwinn, Roadmaster, Huffy, Murray, etc.]. Any Whizzer produced bicycle with a non-Whizzer motor.

This is a Build-Off, and must be built from scratch. Use simple logic to see if your bike is acceptable. An example would be to use a Whizzer bike and install a 49 CC 4-stroke motor, or use a Whizzer motor on a non-Whizzer frame. If you have a 2-stroke motor on a bike and install a 4-stroke motor, this would be allowed. If a current bike were being upgraded with a different motor type or style [installing a 79 or 99 CC 4-stroke motor in place of a smaller 35 or 49 CC 4-stroke] would be OK. If a bike were being converted from a rack mount to an in frame 4-stroke motor it would be acceptable. Minor changes on an existing bike such as tank, wheels, lights, paint, drive systems, same motor style only larger or smaller, brand, etc. aren't acceptable.

Hopefully this will offer an equal playing field for the DIY builder. If anyone needs more information about the rules, please contact me. We are still waiting to see who will judge the event, however we can get started, and as a last resort we will use the same judging system used on a previous Build-Off. [Voting by members].

Lets have a lot of fun, see some exciting ideas, and put a few more 4-stroke in-frame bikes on the road.

Just start posting information and pictures.

Have fun,

Last edited by a moderator:
My build is on temp. hold, I am so busy at work and I have a vintage Raleigh I have to re-build for Mothers day. I did get a set of J model throttle and comp. release controls, becuase the handle bars were a bit cluttered with all the levers. I should be able to get back going on this by next week.

Well it,s been some time since my last post,had some problems I wont go into now.
this is what I've been working on for some time. Hope you'll like it.

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 995
Last edited:
The picture I had in my mind is taking shape. The motor and drive train are performing perfectly. It was a nice day for a 10 mile shake down cruise, no problems! Really need to get the speedometer installed.
Some more photos. First is Dennis the LBS owner lacing the rear wheel with 12ga. SS spokes, 2. Fenders on, & engine cover painted, 3. Rear wheel install, 4.The overall look.

Attachments

• 100_0298.jpg
    100_0298.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 934
  • 100_0303.jpg
    100_0303.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 951
  • 100_0307.jpg
    100_0307.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 913
  • 100_0308.jpg
    100_0308.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 943
Had some time on my hands yesterday so I worked up a muffler mount out of some stainless steel. Think it looks pretty good and supports well. New gas valve from SBP took care of the annoying gas leak. Think my next improvement will be to fab up a better mounting bracket for the front fender, will post some photos of what I come up with.

Attachments

• 100_0310.jpg
    100_0310.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 973
  • 100_0309.jpg
    100_0309.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 929
No pics right yet. But I trued the wheels, got the handle bars all set up, got the frame primed and first coats of semi-gloss black on now the truly painfull part..waiting for the paint to cure so I can hit it with red for the two-tone. still need to finish sanding and paint the forks and clutch pully cover which will get the red as well. On another note I got some bar end mirrors off e-bay that wont work. the expander wont split to hold the mirrors inside the bars. So I will keep looking.

Hi Everyone -

I took my bike out tonight for the first time in two weeks and after making some improvements.

The first photo shows my bike in riding configuration. The saddle bags are meant to carry fuel cannisters, tools, food, etc. The Gates drive belt can handle up to 17 HP engines. As my engine is derated to 4 HP at my altitude, that belt should last forever. (Probably true for the belts that go into Quenton's products as well.)

The second photo shows my headlights and horn. And yes, they are all fully functional. Go with me on that one.

The third photo shows my 12 volt taillight and two passive reflectors.

The fourth photo shows the engine with heat shield and that 5L450 belt from Gates. That is the one rated for up to 17 HP engines.

The fifth photo shows a gasoline-approved container that fits in the saddle bag. Got it at a local chain sporting goods store. A bit pricey, though.

The sixth photo shows the other side of the engine.

The seventh photo shows the rider's view of the headlights and horn.

I took advantage of the lights. I started riding about half an hour before sunset at a local high school parking lot. Unknown at the time, some bozo at the apartment complex just across the street had run into a light pole. Three police cars, two ambulances, and a ladder fire truck arrived on site. I continue to ride my bike at distances as little as 75 yards away, and not too fast. As it gets darker, I turn on the headlights and the brake light. I am wearing a motorcycle helmet and a bright yellow jacket. Am still 75 yards away. Eventually, two police cars, the ambulances, and the ladder truck leave. The third police car, driven by a female officer, blonde, with hair tied back in a regulation pony tail, parks her cruiser on the same side of the parking lot that I am riding on. It is now after 9 pm, and very much after dark. I pass within 15 feet of her a dozen times, with lights on and dressed as above. She moves off a bit, filling out paperwork, and I continue to pass her probably another 25 times or better. She is in no hurry to go anywhere. And she continues to ignore me. Finally she pulls away, but not before I record riding 22 miles, most of it in legal dark in a partly-lighted parking lot.

More riding tomorrow! Weather promises to be good. After a few tweaks, will take to the streets and faster speeds.

MikeJ

Attachments

• 20120525 003.JPG
    20120525 003.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 878
  • 20120525 004.JPG
    20120525 004.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 865
  • 20120525 002.JPG
    20120525 002.JPG
    294.8 KB · Views: 893
  • 20120525 001.JPG
    20120525 001.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 943
  • 20120525 005.JPG
    20120525 005.JPG
    335 KB · Views: 874
  • 20120525 006.JPG
    20120525 006.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 877
  • 20120525 007.JPG
    20120525 007.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 904
Last edited:
Murphy's Law

:cry:Well my fine tuning of my bike has stopped for awhile due to transformer failure in the wire welder. Still has arc, but no wire feed. Time to shift gears from builder to repairman. Will be checking in and hope to see more posts from other builders.

There was a great guy (deceased member) John Foss "Irish John" who if he would have been here would have been in this build off. "Of course" he is unable to enter and enjoy this competition but he was just coming into his own in the building world. I'm adding this link in "respect" to a great Motoredbikes.com builder. I know, in a strange kind of way he is joining this thread as inspiration to those working hard building some very sweet bikes.

"Irish John"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=tknGlc0bjgA

Board Track Racer, Named Hudson

Class: Cruiser
Start Date: Feb 2012
Board-Track Style Bagger
This is my first motorized bike, but it wont be my last.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein​

Attachments

• Hudson Board Track.jpg
    Hudson Board Track.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 913
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 898
  • no crank.jpg
    no crank.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 896
  • in progress.jpg
    in progress.jpg