2012 In Frame, 4-Stroke, Build-Off

EZ Motorbike Company is sponsering this event and will supply plaques for the winners. This is our way of saying thanks to everyone for outstanding support of EZM.

Rules for the EZM 2012 four-stroke in frame build-off:

1. Only 4-stroke motors [any size, age, or brand], and must be mounted in-frame.
2. Any 4-stroke motor or kit can enter, NOT limited to EZ Motorbike kits or Q-Matic drives.
3. Must document start of build with pictures.
4. Must post which class you are entering.
5. Will start now, and end on American holiday 4th of July 2012
6. Any build started but not completed can enter
7. Existing bikes undergoing major changes can enter [different type or style motor, different frame, etc]
8. EZM will not judge contest, but ask others to do so.
9. Entry must be completed before July 5, 2012
10. Production motorbikes not eligible [Whizzer, Tomos, etc]
11. Any one in any country can enter, not just America.

Five Classis:
Cruiser
Stretch cruiser
MTB
Vintage [bike must be older than 1980 or American made]
Whizzer [Vintage or New Edition]

A few comments:
We will add a Whizzer class, however only certain versions of the kit can enter.
NO factory-produced bikes are eligible. The following cannot be entered. Any vintage Whizzer Sportsman, Pacemaker, Ambassador, or Whizzer special. Another example of Whizzers not eligible would be a restored vintage Schwinn WZ/S4, as this would be considered "Restoring", not a new build, as the bike was made for the Whizzer motor kit. Can not enter the following New Edition Whizzers..1999 Classic, 2000 Sportsman, 2001 Pacemaker II, 2002 Pacemaker II, 2003 Panther, 2004 - 2007 NE5, 2007 Ambassador I, 2008 Ambassador II, and 2008 -2009 NE-r.

Whizzers that can enter. Any bike with a Whizzer motor kit [vintage or new edition] installed on a bicycle [Schwinn, Roadmaster, Huffy, Murray, etc.]. Any Whizzer produced bicycle with a non-Whizzer motor.

This is a Build-Off, and must be built from scratch. Use simple logic to see if your bike is acceptable. An example would be to use a Whizzer bike and install a 49 CC 4-stroke motor, or use a Whizzer motor on a non-Whizzer frame. If you have a 2-stroke motor on a bike and install a 4-stroke motor, this would be allowed. If a current bike were being upgraded with a different motor type or style [installing a 79 or 99 CC 4-stroke motor in place of a smaller 35 or 49 CC 4-stroke] would be OK. If a bike were being converted from a rack mount to an in frame 4-stroke motor it would be acceptable. Minor changes on an existing bike such as tank, wheels, lights, paint, drive systems, same motor style only larger or smaller, brand, etc. aren't acceptable.

Hopefully this will offer an equal playing field for the DIY builder. If anyone needs more information about the rules, please contact me. We are still waiting to see who will judge the event, however we can get started, and as a last resort we will use the same judging system used on a previous Build-Off. [Voting by members].

Lets have a lot of fun, see some exciting ideas, and put a few more 4-stroke in-frame bikes on the road.

Just start posting information and pictures.

Have fun,

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update for My entry to the Whizzer category. I received my 1947 whizzer motor and I am in the process of just giving the motor and parts a good cleaning ( it came very clean so its just some detail stuff) waiting to see what happens with some e-bay stuff for parts I need. I had to put the motor in the 1/2 sanded frame to see if and crazy fitting issues were going to pop up, the motor is a tight fit in the Panther frame especially with the tank bung being right above the carb, but I got a 90 degree pressure fitting that just fits and allows the comp and throttle cables the room they need. I wil post pics as soon as I get my computer from the shop.

Hi Chainmaker,

It is a tight fit, but it works well. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Which gas tank are you using? You can get a 100% Whizzer re-pop from WildFire in Ohio at a really good price. A good vintage tank will normally cost between $100.00 to $200.00, but I think the tank from WildFire is less than $65.00.

Have fun,

Attachments

• MVC-544F.jpg
    MVC-544F.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 1,032
I will be using the stainless in frame tank I got from Sportscarpat. It is a tight fit but the motor definitely looks very much at home in there. Just ordered a new sheave, cleaned up the carb, and sanded down the belt cover for painting. I did post a listing for some parts needed in swap and shop if you have any of those things.

Mr B - What material are you using to make the triple tree? I was trying to use the triple tree from a pocket rocket on one of my single crown forks.

Lets see if this picture attachment works. Here is how the bike sits right now.

Attachments

• 20120420170050.jpg
    20120420170050.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,127
bike contest

Hey Quinton; I started my build last year but just finished it within the last 2 weeks. Can I still enter the contest. I didn't take pics of the build because I didn't have a camera. I bought a camera now so here's some shots. I would like to enter the cruiser catagory

Attachments

• !cid__0420121340.jpg
    !cid__0420121340.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 1,044
  • !cid__0420121340a.jpg
    !cid__0420121340a.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 1,003
Last edited:
Hi Bob Mac,

As long as it was completed within the beginning to end of the "build-Off" it is official. You are entered in Cruiser section.

Please take time to tell about your build, and which motor, bike, wheels, forks, tank, etc,etc,etc.

Bike is lookin' good!

Have fun,

Hi Quenton and Everyone -

Here are some more photos of my current build. Today was a nice weather day, there were no personal interruptions, and I had parts and pieces on hand.

First photo shows a pedal-able frame and wheels. I rode it a dozen miles or so over a few days to ensure shifting is smooth and reliable. I will be using the first three gears mostly, maybe the fourth once in a while. I purposely set up the rear cassette so that fifth gear is not useable.

The second photo shows one side of the entire bike.

The third photo shows drive train pulleys.

The fourth photo shows the other side of the entire bike. The rider gives some idea of the bike's size.

The fifth photo shows the engine and some sprocket details.

My bike won't have fancy designs as I see built into other bikes in this forum. Oh well, someone else gets the award for creativity.

I don't intend to exceed 30 mph much. The engine will lope along at an easy 3300 rpm in 3rd gear at that speed. For hill climbing power, the 36-tooth Mega-Range gear from Sick Bike Parts helps provide a 14:1 gear ratio at 3600 rpm, that is 22 mph. I spent some time yesterday truing the jackshaft to be properly aligned, so I don't anticipate chains jumping for lack of alignment.

This build is still a work in progress, but from here on, mostly little add-ons like tensioner pulleys, a better rear tail light, saddlebags to carry gas (don't need to mix oil) and tools and other good stuff. Add in: white motorcycle helmet, bright yellow riding jacket, leather gloves and a road map. I plan to ride far and wide.

Attachments

• 100_1751.JPG
    100_1751.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 979
  • 100_1752.JPG
    100_1752.JPG
    335.6 KB · Views: 946
  • 100_1753.JPG
    100_1753.JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 956
  • 100_1756.JPG
    100_1756.JPG