2012 In Frame, 4-Stroke, Build-Off

EZ Motorbike Company is sponsering this event and will supply plaques for the winners. This is our way of saying thanks to everyone for outstanding support of EZM.

Rules for the EZM 2012 four-stroke in frame build-off:

1. Only 4-stroke motors [any size, age, or brand], and must be mounted in-frame.
2. Any 4-stroke motor or kit can enter, NOT limited to EZ Motorbike kits or Q-Matic drives.
3. Must document start of build with pictures.
4. Must post which class you are entering.
5. Will start now, and end on American holiday 4th of July 2012
6. Any build started but not completed can enter
7. Existing bikes undergoing major changes can enter [different type or style motor, different frame, etc]
8. EZM will not judge contest, but ask others to do so.
9. Entry must be completed before July 5, 2012
10. Production motorbikes not eligible [Whizzer, Tomos, etc]
11. Any one in any country can enter, not just America.

Five Classis:
Cruiser
Stretch cruiser
MTB
Vintage [bike must be older than 1980 or American made]
Whizzer [Vintage or New Edition]

A few comments:
We will add a Whizzer class, however only certain versions of the kit can enter.
NO factory-produced bikes are eligible. The following cannot be entered. Any vintage Whizzer Sportsman, Pacemaker, Ambassador, or Whizzer special. Another example of Whizzers not eligible would be a restored vintage Schwinn WZ/S4, as this would be considered "Restoring", not a new build, as the bike was made for the Whizzer motor kit. Can not enter the following New Edition Whizzers..1999 Classic, 2000 Sportsman, 2001 Pacemaker II, 2002 Pacemaker II, 2003 Panther, 2004 - 2007 NE5, 2007 Ambassador I, 2008 Ambassador II, and 2008 -2009 NE-r.

Whizzers that can enter. Any bike with a Whizzer motor kit [vintage or new edition] installed on a bicycle [Schwinn, Roadmaster, Huffy, Murray, etc.]. Any Whizzer produced bicycle with a non-Whizzer motor.

This is a Build-Off, and must be built from scratch. Use simple logic to see if your bike is acceptable. An example would be to use a Whizzer bike and install a 49 CC 4-stroke motor, or use a Whizzer motor on a non-Whizzer frame. If you have a 2-stroke motor on a bike and install a 4-stroke motor, this would be allowed. If a current bike were being upgraded with a different motor type or style [installing a 79 or 99 CC 4-stroke motor in place of a smaller 35 or 49 CC 4-stroke] would be OK. If a bike were being converted from a rack mount to an in frame 4-stroke motor it would be acceptable. Minor changes on an existing bike such as tank, wheels, lights, paint, drive systems, same motor style only larger or smaller, brand, etc. aren't acceptable.

Hopefully this will offer an equal playing field for the DIY builder. If anyone needs more information about the rules, please contact me. We are still waiting to see who will judge the event, however we can get started, and as a last resort we will use the same judging system used on a previous Build-Off. [Voting by members].

Lets have a lot of fun, see some exciting ideas, and put a few more 4-stroke in-frame bikes on the road.

Just start posting information and pictures.

Have fun,

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert Thumper,

Here's some pics from the first round mock up...

I'm using a Comet CVT, I imagine this will be the single biggest expense.

-Kirk

Attachments

• 140 .jpg
    140 .jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 1,282
  • 141 .jpg
    141 .jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 1,313
  • 142 .jpg
    142 .jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 1,222
  • 143 .jpg
    143 .jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 1,289
Robert Thumper,

I widened the stays with a 2 x 4 & rubber mallet. The right side was left a little wider for the chain drive and the dropout had to be tweaked a little to square the wheel.

-Kirk

Attachments

• 153 .jpg
    153 .jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 1,230
  • 154 .jpg
    154 .jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,223
Robert Thumper,

Latest mockup...

I've added a heavy duty engine mount, and gussets at key joints and plan to convert the fork to a triple tree.

-Kirk

Attachments

• 164 .jpg
    164 .jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 1,260
  • 165 .jpg
    165 .jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 1,199
  • 167 .jpg
    167 .jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 1,225
  • 168 .jpg
    168 .jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 1,205
Robert Thumper,

I built a rear wheel with a vintage Tomos moped hub, 11g spokes, and a farm supply store 48t sprocket.

I cut off the threaded side of a bicycle cluster hub and welded it to the sprocket, and added a BMX style single freewheel gear.

I'll extend the CVT's driven axle so both chains will be on the right side.

Tires are from 3G bikes, a Slickly G up front and a huge 26 x 3.45 Boa G in back. I'm not crazy about the big logos and would like to find a way to remove or cover them...

-Kirk

Attachments

• 166 .jpg
    166 .jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 1,253
Here's a better shot of the mid-century Indian motorcycle inspired long seat hinge.

And the hefty gusset that replaces the top of the seat post.

-Kirk

Attachments

• 174 .jpg
    174 .jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 1,252
Something like this picture below(nice work)....................keep posting pictures it is very cool.Basically you keep track of your 4 stroke build with photos.Pick a catagory and your in.

Attachments

• user17662_pic11049_1330528011.jpg
    user17662_pic11049_1330528011.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,204
Back