2012 In Frame, 4-Stroke, Build-Off

EZ Motorbike Company is sponsering this event and will supply plaques for the winners. This is our way of saying thanks to everyone for outstanding support of EZM.

Rules for the EZM 2012 four-stroke in frame build-off:

1. Only 4-stroke motors [any size, age, or brand], and must be mounted in-frame.
2. Any 4-stroke motor or kit can enter, NOT limited to EZ Motorbike kits or Q-Matic drives.
3. Must document start of build with pictures.
4. Must post which class you are entering.
5. Will start now, and end on American holiday 4th of July 2012
6. Any build started but not completed can enter
7. Existing bikes undergoing major changes can enter [different type or style motor, different frame, etc]
8. EZM will not judge contest, but ask others to do so.
9. Entry must be completed before July 5, 2012
10. Production motorbikes not eligible [Whizzer, Tomos, etc]
11. Any one in any country can enter, not just America.

Five Classis:
Cruiser
Stretch cruiser
MTB
Vintage [bike must be older than 1980 or American made]
Whizzer [Vintage or New Edition]

A few comments:
We will add a Whizzer class, however only certain versions of the kit can enter.
NO factory-produced bikes are eligible. The following cannot be entered. Any vintage Whizzer Sportsman, Pacemaker, Ambassador, or Whizzer special. Another example of Whizzers not eligible would be a restored vintage Schwinn WZ/S4, as this would be considered "Restoring", not a new build, as the bike was made for the Whizzer motor kit. Can not enter the following New Edition Whizzers..1999 Classic, 2000 Sportsman, 2001 Pacemaker II, 2002 Pacemaker II, 2003 Panther, 2004 - 2007 NE5, 2007 Ambassador I, 2008 Ambassador II, and 2008 -2009 NE-r.

Whizzers that can enter. Any bike with a Whizzer motor kit [vintage or new edition] installed on a bicycle [Schwinn, Roadmaster, Huffy, Murray, etc.]. Any Whizzer produced bicycle with a non-Whizzer motor.

This is a Build-Off, and must be built from scratch. Use simple logic to see if your bike is acceptable. An example would be to use a Whizzer bike and install a 49 CC 4-stroke motor, or use a Whizzer motor on a non-Whizzer frame. If you have a 2-stroke motor on a bike and install a 4-stroke motor, this would be allowed. If a current bike were being upgraded with a different motor type or style [installing a 79 or 99 CC 4-stroke motor in place of a smaller 35 or 49 CC 4-stroke] would be OK. If a bike were being converted from a rack mount to an in frame 4-stroke motor it would be acceptable. Minor changes on an existing bike such as tank, wheels, lights, paint, drive systems, same motor style only larger or smaller, brand, etc. aren't acceptable.

Hopefully this will offer an equal playing field for the DIY builder. If anyone needs more information about the rules, please contact me. We are still waiting to see who will judge the event, however we can get started, and as a last resort we will use the same judging system used on a previous Build-Off. [Voting by members].

Lets have a lot of fun, see some exciting ideas, and put a few more 4-stroke in-frame bikes on the road.

Just start posting information and pictures.

Have fun,

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Hi Chainmaker -

Your build looks good, like it will have a lot of get-up-and-go. Just in case no one told you... copper tubing gets brittle with vibration. It looks nice, but someday may start leaking. I got some small engine thin-wall fuel line from a lawnmower repair shop for about $1 per foot. It flexes much easier than tubing made for autos.

I also have some more work to do. Just today I thought of a solution for avoiding the hot exhaust pipe on my build (it is really easy to get burned badly). I see you don't have that problem; that's a nice feature.

Mikej

Hi Guys,

LOOKIN' GOOD!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work.

Mike........... I ran the exhaust forward, and then down under the motor on the HF 99 CC test motor. It not only looks great, but allowed the correct length of pipe to be used to extract the most from the motor.

Troy................Not sure how the fuel flow will be going "up hill" to the carburetor. You may need to raise the glass fuel bowl to at least level of the carburetor.

Have fun,

Last edited:
MotoMagz Build

Here is a few pictures ...almost done!

Attachments

• DSCN1533.jpg
    DSCN1533.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 1,140
  • DSCN1537.jpg
    DSCN1537.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 1,109
  • DSCN1535.jpg
    DSCN1535.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 1,187
My Vintage Black Beauty

I'll be entering the Vintage / American class:

Hi there my name is Frank I live in Colorado. I started a long time ago using two strokes, and the hobby/sport took off from there. With the 4 strokes growing in popularity, I figured I'd better see what they were about. Since making the switch from 2 to 4 strokes I doubt I'll ever ride a 2 smoker again. Here is my build up to this point, I started with a 1978 Schwinn cruiser and striped all the factory parts off leaving just the frame. I sanded and primed the frame and prepped it for regular old for rattle can gloss black engine enamel.

After letting it cure and a week of waiting for parts I was able to start the build finally. I ordered the HD Monark forks with the disc brake dropout from Venice Motorbikes. The coaster brake wheel that was on the bike was **** and I had no choice but to order a new one. Another speed bump and days later I was able to continue on the rear end and get rolling. After setting the bike up for motorization the EZM kit went in with ease, about half the time to install than that of the 2 stroke kits.

The only issue that I had was some chain line issues caused by the rag-joint. I did my best to get it to work with the rag joint but my attempts were unsuccessful. I was able to get it all taken care of by ordering the pirate cycles adapter and sprocket to get the lateral adjustment that I needed. With all the bugs worked out and everything rolling smooth the miles just keep coming. Thanks to Quenton, now I no longer have to worry if my engine is going to blow up on the side of the road and have me do the pedal of shame. I love the qmatic and will be upgrading to the HF99cc predator in the near future.

Attachments

• DSC00922.jpg
    DSC00922.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 1,106
  • DSC00923.jpg
    DSC00923.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 1,111
  • DSC00925.jpg
    DSC00925.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 1,075
  • DSC00926.jpg
    DSC00926.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSC00929.jpg
    DSC00929.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 1,066
  • DSC00927.jpg
    DSC00927.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 1,046
  • DSC00924.jpg
    DSC00924.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 1,041
  • DSC00928.jpg
    DSC00928.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,038
  • schwinn.jpg
    schwinn.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,024
Last edited by a moderator:
Cruiser class entry.

Hello my name is Tom and I'd like to enter my Felt build. I've been posting photos of the build on the general discussion board, but don't know how to link it to this post. If someone could help me with that?
On to the build: Started with a 2009 Felt Cortez, added a EZ Qmatic kit from Custom Motored Bicycles, chrome springer for a smoother ride, Sturmey Archer 90mm drum brake for the front, Pirate hub adapter, and a set of heavy duty fenders.
After removing the tires to install a set of thorn resistant tubes I realized how inadequate the stock rims were. After much searching both online and bike shop catalogs I ordered a set of DX32 DH rims. IMHO these are high quality and worth every penny spent!
This is my first build in over 45 years and want to thank everyone on this site for all the information, it's been a big help.

Still don't know how to put a link to my photos so I will just post some new ones taken yesterday. This is a work in progress.

Attachments

• 100_0291.jpg
    100_0291.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,028
  • 100_0292.jpg
    100_0292.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,061
  • 100_0293.jpg
    100_0293.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,053
  • 100_0289.jpg
    100_0289.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,069
Hi Tom, Quenton, and All -

Tom - Your bike looks good; you will be up for the "Nice Paint Job" award. The spring-loaded chain tensioner is a smart move.

Attached are some more photos of my work in progress. I took it out for a 45-minute test ride today in a local school parking lot. I kept my speed at 16 mph or below while listening for any unexplained noises. There was squeak, but a simple adjustment took care of that. I drove so slow that if I used 6 ounces of gasoline during that time, I'd be surprised.

The first photo shows a heat shield I installed over that hot exhaust pipe. There is a quarter inch gap between the two. As air moves over the sheet metal, it cools quickly and there is no way to burn my leg. There were a couple of mounting bosses on the engine that I took advantage of to hold the bolts. It works great; the shield becomes hardly warm when the bike is in motion. Also shown is the belt tensioner. The taped card stock prevents the shield from rubbing directly on the paint job. That will be improved later.

The second photo shows the gap from the exiting end. Moving air is a poor conductor of heat.

The third photo shows the helmet and yellow jacket I wear whenever I ride. Some drivers cross the center line to get away from me when they see me. Also shown is the chain tensioner on the gear side. It is actually fixed, but prevents the driving chain slack from bouncing around on the driven sprocket. I may make that spring-loaded as well; it does not actually apply any pressure to the chain.

Next is the oversized brake light I purchased a long time ago. Then something else. . .

MikeJ

Attachments

• 20120506_Photos 259.JPG
    20120506_Photos 259.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 1,052
  • 20120506_Photos 261.JPG
    20120506_Photos 261.JPG
    301.2 KB · Views: 1,052
  • 20120506_Photos 262.JPG
    20120506_Photos 262.JPG
    332.6 KB · Views: 1,072
Last edited:
Hi Mike, Thank for the compliment on my build, but I can't take credit for the paint job. That is stock from Felt, I've just been careful not to scar it up. Everything is mounted on rubber to absorb vibration and help stop nicking the paint.
There are plans to paint the bike a black cherry color after the custom gas tank is done, right now I want to ride it so bad I can taste it! So the painting may have to wait till next winter.

Attachments

• 100_0276.jpg
    100_0276.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 1,103
  • 100_0279.jpg
    100_0279.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,665
  • 100_0278.jpg
    100_0278.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,816
Back