2012 In Frame, 4-Stroke, Build-Off

EZ Motorbike Company is sponsering this event and will supply plaques for the winners. This is our way of saying thanks to everyone for outstanding support of EZM.

Rules for the EZM 2012 four-stroke in frame build-off:

1. Only 4-stroke motors [any size, age, or brand], and must be mounted in-frame.
2. Any 4-stroke motor or kit can enter, NOT limited to EZ Motorbike kits or Q-Matic drives.
3. Must document start of build with pictures.
4. Must post which class you are entering.
5. Will start now, and end on American holiday 4th of July 2012
6. Any build started but not completed can enter
7. Existing bikes undergoing major changes can enter [different type or style motor, different frame, etc]
8. EZM will not judge contest, but ask others to do so.
9. Entry must be completed before July 5, 2012
10. Production motorbikes not eligible [Whizzer, Tomos, etc]
11. Any one in any country can enter, not just America.

Five Classis:
Cruiser
Stretch cruiser
MTB
Vintage [bike must be older than 1980 or American made]
Whizzer [Vintage or New Edition]

A few comments:
We will add a Whizzer class, however only certain versions of the kit can enter.
NO factory-produced bikes are eligible. The following cannot be entered. Any vintage Whizzer Sportsman, Pacemaker, Ambassador, or Whizzer special. Another example of Whizzers not eligible would be a restored vintage Schwinn WZ/S4, as this would be considered "Restoring", not a new build, as the bike was made for the Whizzer motor kit. Can not enter the following New Edition Whizzers..1999 Classic, 2000 Sportsman, 2001 Pacemaker II, 2002 Pacemaker II, 2003 Panther, 2004 - 2007 NE5, 2007 Ambassador I, 2008 Ambassador II, and 2008 -2009 NE-r.

Whizzers that can enter. Any bike with a Whizzer motor kit [vintage or new edition] installed on a bicycle [Schwinn, Roadmaster, Huffy, Murray, etc.]. Any Whizzer produced bicycle with a non-Whizzer motor.

This is a Build-Off, and must be built from scratch. Use simple logic to see if your bike is acceptable. An example would be to use a Whizzer bike and install a 49 CC 4-stroke motor, or use a Whizzer motor on a non-Whizzer frame. If you have a 2-stroke motor on a bike and install a 4-stroke motor, this would be allowed. If a current bike were being upgraded with a different motor type or style [installing a 79 or 99 CC 4-stroke motor in place of a smaller 35 or 49 CC 4-stroke] would be OK. If a bike were being converted from a rack mount to an in frame 4-stroke motor it would be acceptable. Minor changes on an existing bike such as tank, wheels, lights, paint, drive systems, same motor style only larger or smaller, brand, etc. aren't acceptable.

Hopefully this will offer an equal playing field for the DIY builder. If anyone needs more information about the rules, please contact me. We are still waiting to see who will judge the event, however we can get started, and as a last resort we will use the same judging system used on a previous Build-Off. [Voting by members].

Lets have a lot of fun, see some exciting ideas, and put a few more 4-stroke in-frame bikes on the road.

Just start posting information and pictures.

Have fun,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Quenton -

Here are a few photos of my intended build. The MTB class is probably best for me. At least that is what I started with.

The first photo is the original bike at purchase from a used bike shop. Paid $100 because it was in good shape and rode well.

The second photo shows an extended frame with HF 79 cc 4-stroke and an articulated rear wheel. I later thought the articulating frame may snap the chain. So the shock absorber had to go.

The third photo shows a fixed frame. It rode nice but lacked power going over hills that were 7,000 ft above sea level.

The fourth photo shows an up-performanced Honda 160 cc engine. It has lots of power. But under acceleration, the frame shuddered, like it was going to shake itself apart. Too much engine? I thought I may be better off with a shorter, all-welded frame. More cutting, fitting, and welding was soon to happen.

The fifth photo shows the frame back end. It is all welded and painted. Maybe it will ride better.

The sixth photo shows my bike before being assembled again for the 3rd time if you don't count all the little disassemblies like flat tire fixes, new handlebars, front shocks, new disc brakes on new wheels, and little stuff like that.

I will be working on it today while this warm spell makes life pleasant. Maybe make it pedal ride-able anyway and take it on a few bike trails.

Later!
MikeJ

Attachments

• MtnTekExtreme_AtPurchase.jpg
    MtnTekExtreme_AtPurchase.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,614
  • 100_1555.jpg
    100_1555.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 2,626
  • 100_1591.JPG
    100_1591.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 2,698
  • 100_1644.JPG
    100_1644.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 2,991
  • Rebuild3m.jpg
    Rebuild3m.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 2,602
  • Rebuild3h.jpg
    Rebuild3h.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 2,732
this is a pic of the award I got for winning the stretch cruiser class in the 2010 build-off :)
(it was luck that my ride happened to be the pic on the plaque)

Quenton and EZM definitely didn't scrimp on the trophies ;)

even though I am changing my engine, I won't be entering the competition this year

I am taking my first build and transplanting the motor and many of the parts over to a new frame. There will be a lot of new performance parts and an attention to detail in assembly not possible during my first ham fisted build. The new build will be my entry.

The attached photos are of my current build and the new frame fresh from the powdercoaters...

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 2,637
  • Feltframe1.jpg
    Feltframe1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 2,662
MotoMagz 2012 entry

Ok here is a link to the start of my build https://motoredbikes.com/threads/motomagz-2012-in-frame-4-stroke-build-off-bike.36734/#post-337879
The road master frame is a 90's...that is American made so I'm good there.Ther tires are Maxis hookworm 2.50.Front Sturmey 90mm drum brake. Rear Sturmey internal 5 speed with a 70mm drum.Both are on 2.125 knurled rims with 12 guage spokes.Seat is a all leather Gyles mounted to a 40's luck 7 post.I have just stared the painting so more updates soon....

Thanks for hosting this build off!

I started a new build recently so-

I'm in.

I've named my bike "Robert Thumper"

It is to be a budget conscious 60's style retro Bobber, I'd like to enter the stretched cruiser category.

-Kirk

Robert Thumper,

I started with the purchase of a Honda GX200 clone bought for crazy cheap when Harbor Freight was closing out their line of Greyhound engines.

And a $10 flea market find Schwinn cantilever frame-

Chopped the bottom bracket, and the top stays were straightened. Gaps were filled with 1" tube over black gas pipe sleeves.

This added 5" of stretch- I always felt the old cruiser bikes look a little squished in the rear triangle anyway.

-Kirk

Attachments

• 132 .jpg
    132 .jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 2,799
  • 130 .jpg
    130 .jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 2,693
  • 129 .jpg
    129 .jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 2,643
Robert Thumper,

I also lengthened a inexpensive mountain bike steerer tube with gas pipe to fit the Schwinn.

But shortly after that I found much nicer "Zoom" brand fork for an incredible $18.95 shipped!

It has been converted to 1" Schwinn steerer tube.

I also scored a nifty vintage repop Schwinn chain guard.

-Kirk

Attachments

• 134 .jpg
    134 .jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,490
  • 133 .jpg
    133 .jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 2,477
Back