Q-Matic II 2 speed

I heard there some new updates to the 2 speed drive

I heard there some new updates to the 2 speed drive.

I heard that Quenton got the 2 speed to fit into the original housing.
I would like to show Quenton a ideal I have for a 2 speed see what he thanks.

MVC-029S.JPGMVC-023S.JPGMVC-016S.JPGMVC-026S.JPGHere are pictures of the final 2 speed drive. Have found a way to reduce cost and slim down the drive even more. I just haven't reduced the internal bearing carrier bracket yet as I just made a spacer for testing. Just put over 200 miles on drive, and I must admit, it works better than I ever thought it would. I set up the prototype on a 99 CC HF motor as it was handy, and had a long crankshaft. The long crankshaft helped speed up the process as I wouldn't have to make a double pulley, just use 2 single pulleys on the longer shaft. The production version will have a 2 step one piece pulley for the slightly shorter 5/8" crankshaft on the Honda and HS motors.

Because the motor is a low RPM motor and idles at approx 1100, it was necessary to use larger primary pulleys in order to take advantage of the increased torque and HP.

I used a 3" pulley connected to a 4.95" pulley for the overdrive ratio of 9.43 X 1, and a 2.5" pulley connected to a 5.45" pulley for the stock Q-matic drive ratio of 12.629 X 1. The 2 speed is simply a Q-Matic with an overdrive. The Q-Matic clutch started "ticking" at 2500 RPMs, and engaged at 2900 RPMs [17 MPH]. The overdrive clutch started ticking at 3800 RPMs [24 MPH], and completely engaged at 4200 RPMs [25 MPH on drive clutch and 35 MPH on OD clutch]. The surprising part of the system is it doesn't "shift" into over drive, it is so smooth you can't tell it shifted. The speed picks up quickly, and the tachometer is steady. When the throttle is held at 4500 RPMs, the bike picks up speed quickly without the RPMS moving up. I expected the RPMs to drop as the over drive clutch engaged, however the RPMs remained steady and the speed increased quickly. It feels like I hit the torque peak just as the over drive started to engage.

The only difference in the 2 speed for the 50 CC 4 stroke motors is the primary pulleys would be smaller to take advantage of the high RPMs motors.

Final test results netted a top speed of 50 MPH @ 6100 RPMs Had to re-jet carburetor and alter exhaust system to get the motor past 5200 RPMs.

Have fun,

Attachments

• MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 564
Thanks for your update Quenton I like it. Helmutt told me that you had made some updates.
Here is a one I was think of making.
2 speed drive2.jpg

There are all kinds of way to make a 2 speed drive system, including tighten one belt and loosen the other at the same time. Problem arrives with many state laws, as NO MANUAL shifting is allowed, and must be totally automatic. There was a neat system at the Portland show this year and sadly it was shifted manually.

I do like the way you included the belt drive in the pedal system.
Another important issue is the lack of bearing support at the ends of the jack-shaft, causing excessive wear on the shaft in the center.

Stay tuned, more to come as I find time to alter the ratios and shifting points for different types of small 4 stroke motors.

Have fun,

There are all kinds of way to make a 2 speed drive system, including tighten one belt and loosen the other at the same time. Problem arrives with many state laws, as NO MANUAL shifting is allowed, and must be totally automatic. There was a neat system at the Portland show this year and sadly it was shifted ma
I do like the way you included the belt drive in the pedal system.
Another important issue is the lack of bearing support at the ends of the jack-shaft, causing excessive wear on the shaft in the center.

Stay tuned, more to come as I find time to alter the ratios and shifting points for different types of small 4 stroke motors.

Have fun,

How good is it at getting large men up 30% grade hills with 49 cc engines? The legal thing and steep hills is why I built my 5 speed automatic LandRider bicycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quenton can you make me a 2 speed drive?
I do not want the chain clutch I want 3" pulley instead, belt drive to rear wheel and shaft longer so I can put freewheel on end

Have finished almost all the testing, and I am amazed how well this drive actually works. I had planned on playing with some additional ratios, however it works so well we just can't stop riding the bike.

As many know I recently re-designed it again. This latest re-design will help in reducing the cost, and made it almost another inch thinner. I am currently making another test unit so that we can speed up testing on the newest design.

We are also working with one of our current vendors to possibly make this drive affordable. The biggest price obstacle is the cost of 2 complete clutches [one primary and one for over-drive]in the system. Current estimates exceed $250.00 in parts costs, not counting shipping & assembly labor. We are doing our best to reduce cost and maintain the quality we are noted for in the process. The main clutch can be changed to V-belt output in 2.5", 3.2" and 3.5" sizes. NO FREEWHEEL is needed with this system, like the Q-Matic, the freewheel is built in the basic operation of the drive.

I have considered making a few additional units for a few that might want to test the proto-types, however, we are so busy with EZM production, little time is left for new products. We just completed all the testing and production cost for a new clutch for Whizzer motorbikes, and are working to hopefully start production before the end of this year. We also have a new high performance head for the Whizzer's getting ready to start production.

Contact me via PM for more details.

Have fun,

Back