wood ruff key dropped,don't know what to do.

wan37

Local time
11:01 AM
I have a grubee sky hawk engine and installing a centrifugal clutch and had to wait for the new grinder to get here,so I put the new cover on and check out if the pedals would hit.Yes they did so ordered a shorter one piece crank,then turned bike upside down and remove the old .I got the new die grinder and cut the key way grove in the new centrifugal clutch went to put the wood ruff key on the shaft and drop it behind the bigger clutch gear being a the bike was still upside down...and can't shake it out if it still in there.This my problem I don't care if I lost the little key just will buy a new one,but don't want it to mess any thing up being some where behind the gear and I don't know how to take all that stuff apart......please someone tell me what to do...Thanks

if the key went behind the clutch gear, all you have to do is remove the flower nut in the center of the gear and slide the gear off.
this is the bigger gear towards the rear of the engine on the right side.
when you remove the flower nut, take out the little phillips locking screw and then unscrew the flower nut. count the number of turns it takes to get the flower nut off because you will want to screw it back on the same number of turns so your clutch will be adjusted right. but, if you're putting on a cetrifugal clutch, don;t you have to remove the manual clutch anyway?
if the cranks hit the cover, why didn't you just buy a set of off-set cranks instead of buying a whole new shaft?
this woudl have saved you a ton of trouble.

Thanks motor .I have a one piece crank and could not find a wider one piece crank there all out of them.It's tight on wallet for changing over to 3 piece crank,plus I found a deal a 5 1/2 crank for $8.49 on a closeout free shipping.I feel better now about what you said about the big clutch gear....Thanks a bunch

yep. it's easy to remove that clutch gear. some of the clutch pads may fall out when you take the gear off, but don't worry, just pop them back into the clutch drum...they just sit in there.
BUT, if you pull the gear off, the clutch drum will still be on the shaft and i have no idea how to get that off....you may need a puller to get it off, i'm not sure.
I have never gone that far into the clutch.

I'm there now it looks like a nut is all to take it I'm hoping.thanks

I not going to pull the drum off tonight. maybe tomorrow.thanks motor again I have to check it out more before I remove the clutch drum.so any suggestion would help.

I not going to pull the drum off tonight. maybe tomorrow.thanks motor again I have to check it out more before I remove the clutch drum.so any suggestion would help.

Most likely all you need to do is remove the machine screw that keeps the flower nut in place, remove the flower nut, remove the flywheel, and maybe a clutch pad or two. A magnet may help in the extraction of the key. You may want to remove the spark plug so you can rotate the clutch gears easily. A socket and breaker bar (14mm) on the nut holding the magnet on works well.

Thanks al I'm all the way to the clutch pads there a center nut.How do I take the nut that holds the pads plate on every thing move so do I hold a socket on the chain little gear and a socket on the clutch pad plate or what?Thanks

The plate that holds the clutch pads is not bolted on. It is a tight fit with a woodruff key to keep it from spinning on the shaft. Most kits include a gear puller with them, some don't. Here is what the puller looks like and how to use it. This puller will remove both clutch gears and the chain drive gear. Not needed for the magnet in the magneto.
If your kit did not come with one, I have loaner pullers to let out. You pay postage both ways (about the cost of the puller itself), but they can be bought from one of our vendors, but shipping is way too much unless you buy multiple items. They are nice to keep on hand.

make sure to thread that puller in tight before tightening the central bolt/puller part. very fine, easily damaged threads and when they go...uh oh!

the magnet should work :)

the benefit of a "loaner" puller is that it will work...ive had one or two supplied with kits that were useless...

Back