Thoughts on pit bike engines?

Bob Campbell

Local time
9:46 AM
Hey guys,

What are your opinions on pit bike engines?

http://tboltusa.com/store/piranha-110cc-valve-works-p-2502.html

Sorry, but you need to copy and paste to your browser, I don't know how to make a proper link here.

Will this or other pit bike engines work. I like the 4 speed gear box. should make gearing a breeze! How wide are these compared to more common engines? Any other suggestions for engines to use? I've also considered Honda GX160-Gx200 engines. This site also has other options for engines if you click on "engines" on the top of the site.

I will be building my frame (Board track style) so I am not worried about fitment problems.

Thanks,
Bob C.

sure, go for it.

illegal in just about every country, and when you get caught, youll give us all a bad name, not that we already have a good one what with idiots that dont follow the rules... traffic lights... footpaths... registration...speed limits.... noise pollution.... how does motorising a pushy raise one above the law?

but dont let that stop you! oh no! its all about how many cc you can stuff under your butt, isnt it?

its a pushy. stick with a lil 35 or 50cc and maybe the authorities wont feel the need to ban these things altogther?

Wow! How do you know this isn't going to be a race bike for the race at grange? Don't know if you've noticed that there are 125 cc scooters out there. This bike could be registered like a scooter.

Do you also scold the guys building the 66/80cc bikes?

Bob C.

yep :)

you coulda said you wanted to race it and i would have suggested a lifan 140 with 7mm lift cams...

but for road use... everyday use... i stand my ground! too many idiots breaking the rules and making it hard for everyone else that doesnt!

there is a huge difference between a scooter and a pushbike with a motor. usually, design standards. or compliancy. its either a motorised bicycle, a moped, or a scooter.

a scooter has design standards, same as a moped. fail to meet them and its not classified as compliant. and using it on the road is illegal.

a motorised pushbike has fairly tight restrictions. go too far and you have a "noncompliant moped".

and once you have to go to the extent of getting rego? why bother at all?

and take the z50... thats a whole 49cc of honda power, often given to lil kids as a first bike, a toy.... but its a motorbike, and it needs to be registered to be used on the road legally.

Last edited:
Do it..it's not illegal..the crazy guy talking bad doesn't know anything. In California it is legal in Texas it's legal and just about every other state..especially when it's a fully automatic..get off his back..I'm running a pit bike engine and so is motopeds.com

There are some states where you can legally ride a bicycle with an engine over 50cc on the street but I don't recall which. Unlike the Chinese 66-80cc 2 stroke engines, a pit bike engine normally has the displacement stamped on the cylinder somewhere.
The bicycles I have seen with pit bike engines, other than the motoped, have stretch frames like the Micargi Mustang.
mustang30gts.jpg

There are some states where you can legally ride a bicycle with an engine over 50cc on the street but I don't recall which. Unlike the Chinese 66-80cc 2 stroke engines, a pit bike engine normally has the displacement stamped on the cylinder somewhere.
California just says 2 hp or less right now. There is no mention of size of engine or cc's.

After Jan 2015 it will be 4 hp or less.

Gear shifting would not be legal.

Back