DAX Triton GT50R Locks Up when pull starting

I think 5-7 may b right, sounds as if it isn't close to being broken-in and those
race engines are probably 9 to 1 compression and tight as .....well. pretty
durn tight. You might wanna remove the plug, add a teaspoon of oil to the
head, work it with a few pulls, and the replace the plug and go for a start.

The pull starter on these Cag pocketbike engines are prone to self destruct. I just busted one (metal one too). The spring came apart & actually ripped a hole through the metal on the side of the pull start cover. Fortunately, they are cheap to replace & usually do last awhile.
I'd buy a new metal pull starter cover assembly for around $20-$25 bucks shipped.
I keep a spare Cag engine for parts & removed that piece to replace the one I busted.
-lowracer-

final answer

for anyone interested it wasn't the motor after all I removed the motor from the bike and found a broken clutch spring the clutch would engage after pulling the starter 4-5 times and not disengage locking up the pull starter (picture attached) thanks for all your help and comments ultimately I was taking the motor off to ship back to DAX when I found it

Attachments

• bobsbike12412 022.jpg
    bobsbike12412 022.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 260
Those pesky clutch springs have a habit of breaking.

Actually, I'm not sure if the spring breaks, or simply slips off their post. By the time I pull the engine, the spring's in pieces.

I'm considering buying a titan 50. Should I be concerned. what's your overall
opinion of these 4 strokes?

Mine is a GT-50R Titan Motor 2-stroke no problems easy installation and the people at DAX are great to work with. Like the post before you the clutch springs (on any motor) have a habit of coming off or breaking. DAX is sending me one at no charge.

I broke another clutch spring today on a 51 mile ride on my Cag. Was able to get it home on engine power by not doing too much stopping...lol
Avg 130 mpg's...not too shabby
-Lowracer-

Mine is a GT-50R Titan Motor 2-stroke no problems easy installation and the people at DAX are great to work with. Like the post before you the clutch springs (on any motor) have a habit of coming off or breaking. DAX is sending me one at no charge.

On my first build, my Robin/Subaru broke a clutch spring. That puzzled me a bit, until I pulled the engine. It was a single-spring clutch model.

I've broken several clutch springs on my CY460 engine on friction drive and center-framed chain drive/shift kit. Some were with the original clutch, others were pocket bike clutches modified to fit the 460.

FWIW, I've run my Tanaka 47R engines for 2 years, and have not broken any clutch springs.

When I find a clutch which will fit the 460 and won't break springs, I'll run my 460 engines.

Back