DAX Triton GT50R Locks Up when pull starting

bob haynes

Local time
5:19 PM
Has anyone had a problem with a pull start locking up? Motor is new and ran like a champ the first 4-5 times. Now when I go to start I pull on the rope and after 5-6 pulls the motor freezes up. I have to take the cover off and turn by hand then put back together pull 4-5 times and it locks up again. I've checked everything on the roller side and it turns freely. Fuel mixture is per book. Could it be lack of air in carb? Can someone point me in the right direction? Didn't want to take motor apart.

Has anyone had a problem with a pull start locking up? Motor is new and ran like a champ the first 4-5 times. Now when I go to start I pull on the rope and after 5-6 pulls the motor freezes up. I have to take the cover off and turn by hand then put back together pull 4-5 times and it locks up again. I've checked everything on the roller side and it turns freely. Fuel mixture is per book. Could it be lack of air in carb? Can someone point me in the right direction? Didn't want to take motor apart.

I'm not familiar with that particular engine but if it locks up when pull starting, and is free when you pull the recoil, then that's where I'd look...at the pull starting recoil. If you can turn by
"hand" I doubt it's freezing/locking up. You might want to remove the pull start and plug and first spin by hand then with a drill. I see a picture of it, but don't know what is inside the pull start.

Last edited:
Hi Ron,thanks for the reply.We have corresponded before. Maybe I can clarify my problem. I pull to start and it recoils like normal. After 4-6 tries it locks up to where you can't pull it. I then take the cover off and turn the crank?? by hand. It loosens up and I put the cover on and try again. Give me a couple days and I will take some pics. I was wondering if it builds up pressure and locks up. bobh

Hi Ron,thanks for the reply.We have corresponded before. Maybe I can clarify my problem. I pull to start and it recoils like normal. After 4-6 tries it locks up to where you can't pull it. I then take the cover off and turn the crank?? by hand. It loosens up and I put the cover on and try again. Give me a couple days and I will take some pics. I was wondering if it builds up pressure and locks up. bobh

It's totally possible that you might have excessive compression. The next time it locks up, pull the spark plug and pull to start. That way if there is excessive compression you found your problem. Solution...add another head gasket. When you can't pull the rope, and take the time to pull the recoil, the compression might bleed off. One other thing...pull to start, when you can't..stop, leave it alone, go get a drink, then come back and try again.

Last edited:
im good with engines

But am un familliar with the kit your using is it the 4 stroke honda or clone motor? Or 2 stroke? If its the honda 4 stroke it sounds like you skipped valve timing some how. Or maybe bent a valve. The pull start works freely when removed correct? It could be a bad bearing or race in the pull start. Try rebuilding the the starter before you tear into the motor.

But am un familliar with the kit your using is it the 4 stroke honda or clone motor? Or 2 stroke? If its the honda 4 stroke it sounds like you skipped valve timing some how. Or maybe bent a valve. The pull start works freely when removed correct? It could be a bad bearing or race in the pull start. Try rebuilding the the starter before you tear into the motor.

I looked it up on Dax's site...it's a 2 cycle. Far right column, second down.
http://thatsdax.com/

Last edited:
send it back to dax he will make it rite dont screw with it let dewayne fix it he is a very good at customer service

If no one recommended it yet, simply remove or loosen the sparkplug. Then pull start. If there's no lockup, then maybe it's either high compression.

Sounds like a fuel flooding lock, common with model airplane 2 strokes. To fix this you would have to prevent fuel flooding. Are you over priming the engine before starting it?

Back