modding a daemon friction drive to a for a cy460r

i posted this to gopednation so i could find some lathe work

I need a custom spindle for a 460 clutch housing and a third bearing. Im lacking a micrometer but i need 1.25" diameter with a hole in one end just wide enough to fit on the stock 460 clutchhousing its just shy of 15mm but only 7/8" deep, and one end needs to be lathed down for a third bearing to fit i think its 5/8" the bearing is a 6202rs,

Ok so it should be L=3-5/8" , dia=1-1/4" , 0ne end largened to fit tight on to cy clutch housing 7/8" deep with a threaded setscrew hole, the other lathed to fit inside a bearing with an inside diameter of 5/8", im putting a 460 on a friction drive bike kit and this is the last part i need to get it mounted on the bike and get a 460. Any help would be appreciated guys thanks in advance.

This was a kit i bought and it was junk so i redesigned it using the cy housing whitch fixed the main problems with this design but i need the custom spindle. Dang i wish i had a lathe!
l_9b88a22ba16e44368919a816e5d91874.jpg
this is before i did any modding.

l_dff0c545190542c582d465de859a9e57.jpg
This is after i made the bearing hole large enough for the housing to slide in and be tru.

l_104d226636be4d3dbf38407c81d8f09a.jpg
this is yesterday i got the 1" nylon spacers and am ready to mount the engine but its not going anywhere without a spindle!

l_477dc40827d245d18fb64bc39622d1a5.jpg
l_fc2ff1c5bbc641f8827903e66c817619.jpg
This is the old 7/8" spindle " i need one bearing removed and that end fitted on the shaft secured with a setscrew" though i want a 1.25 modding this one will help with designing the new one i think.

Not any more 5-7 the bearing hole was wollered out on the clutch side. I had to enlargen it so the housing fit in true. This is the only way to Make this f-d oporational again. The custom spindle will look like a cross between a staton and a bmp, bmp setscrew style but opened up to 5/8" on the clutch side staton style with a shank for the bearing on the other side. It5 makes perfect sense to me when its finished the pics will explain.

I believe you, and can't wait until the 460 is installed.

I ran a 460 on friction drive. It ran great on 1.25" spindle, but the constant high rpm drone gave me a headache. A 1.375" spindle worked well, with a lower rpm.

Ya might want to use lower-rpm clutch springs, so you can use the engine at lower speeds. The 460 clutch kicks in @ 8,000rpm. I tried 3500-4000rpm springs; my bike sounded exactly like a modified moped, with no off-idle engine power. The 2700rpm-3000rpm clutch springs worked well for me.

Bear in mind that this engine has a very narrow rpm band. When hillclimbing, if engine rpm drops below a certain level, the engine rpm and power will not increase until the hill levels off. That's the main reason I switched to the shift kit. Even with gears, if you're stuck on a hill, the 460 will suffer.

I got an idea.:unsure:

If your spindle doesn't work, machine the clutch bell to accept a long 1/2" shaft or BMP shaft, which extends past the outboard bearing. Then you can slip on the BMP 1.25" spindle.

i appreciate your feedback

I havent realized The need for a shift kit if any exists here at all. I live in phoenix AZ " almost no hills " I'm into the goped scene and have quite a few tricks too make the 460 scream from an idle to redline. And i do have a set of clutchsaver springs waiting to be installed " i dont have the engine yet " but im the kind of guy that will wait for a great deal on a fully modded 460 from gopednations classified section. I want a "goped" 1.5L tank on the other side of the mount for weight distribution. Man just port your 460 a bit and you wont regret it. Also the carb of of the 60cc motor "walboro hda-223" is a good upgrade from the stock hda-48 and it doesnt have a fuel return which Is a good thing for you cause of the single feed tank your bike runs. This has been on the back burner since i started my schwinn scooter build a few months back and since im finished with that im ready to finish the v2 of the Motobecane moped throwback bike

l_4423cd3773e7406c8de911be88fd5f24.jpg

I got an idea.:unsure:

If your spindle doesn't work, machine the clutch bell to accept a long 1/2" shaft or BMP shaft, which extends past the outboard bearing. Then you can slip on the BMP 1.25" spindle.

Yeah id thought of that once before but id like to keep the housing and drum as is so it can be replaced without any machining first. These housings are Useless to anyone who gets the 460 for a goped so they are in abundance and most of the time they are just given away for free! I cant seem to get away from the promise of free replacments. And at the very most my spindles will cost me $25-$35 for material and machine work. Im having the stock spindle lathed tomorrow for free and that means the whole conversion is only costing $3 in spacers and washers :D ! Not too bad i think. Oh yeah i need a setscrew maybe $.50 :devilish: i paid $200 for the kit with an engine. And the engine is junk so ill say ive got $103.50 invested in this F/D kit total before cost of the motor that at most will cost $255 and the fuel tank at most $40 both from ddm. $398.50 complete and rolling aint too bad especially when considered that ill have a cy460r instead of a eho35 or gx35.

I also installed a 1.5 liter goped tank, which straddled the outboard bearing on the drive housing. It worked well enough, but I had to fill the tank every other day. The one I like best is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/motor-motor...302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd7bbaae

It holds 4 liters of fuel; this means I need to fill this Happy Time tank every 10 days. It looks great to me when mounted on the top tube. In my present engine location, the expansion pipe crosses over the top tube, so I moved the 4-liter tank to the back. The HT tank looks like heck, mounted on the rear rack, but WTH, it doesn't bother me one bit.

I also carry 2 oz of oil in a fuel reserve bottle. When the tank is low, I shut the petcock and pedal for 100 yards to the Chevron station. I pump in 3 quarts of fuel, pedal for 100 yards, then open the petcock, start the engine and motor away.

No more mixing fuel at home! Fill up at any gas station!

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I havent realized The need for a shift kit if any exists here at all. I live in phoenix AZ " almost no hills " I'm into the goped scene and have quite a few tricks too make the 460 scream from an idle to redline. And i do have a set of clutchsaver springs waiting to be installed " i dont have the engine yet " but im the kind of guy that will wait for a great deal on a fully modded 460 from gopednations classified section. I want a "goped" 1.5L tank on the other side of the mount for weight distribution. Man just port your 460 a bit and you wont regret it. Also the carb of of the 60cc motor "walboro hda-223" is a good upgrade from the stock hda-48 and it doesnt have a fuel return which Is a good thing for you cause of the single feed tank your bike runs. This has been on the back burner since i started my schwinn scooter build a few months back and since im finished with that im ready to finish the v2 of the Motobecane moped throwback bike

l_4423cd3773e7406c8de911be88fd5f24.jpg

dchevygod, what would you run on your bike, a Tanaka 47R or the 460?
I've run both, but I'd like your opinion.

BTW, if you moved your engine a few inches forward, it might look better and have better weight distribution.

Last edited:
l_0d8a15b90f6c49bf92a97472e55dc911.jpg

l_78da0f1565254649bd12786368b219a5.jpg

l_5756f161e544410b86628bd1b4130a35.jpg

l_383d1f35fa154005bd917cf898edc554.jpg

Jim Holister Racing. Rocks, Jim is an awsome guy ive ridden with him once before at one of the local group rides. But thats as far as i knew him before today, He just spent the better part of three hours on my spindle today and I cant shout his praises loud enough.

dchevygod, what would you run on your bike, a Tanaka 47R or the 460?
I've run both, but I'd like your opinion.

BTW, if you moved your engine a few inches forward, it might look better and have better weight distribution.

The frame is so aggressively angled there where the mount is, i guess i could shorten the u bracket.

As for engine im not the best one to ask about the tanaka but i like the fact that the 460 was designed for moving an individual around and not an adapted industrial engine of some kind. Ive read nothing really bad about the tanaka but i can get 460s from ddm for $255 shipped i wouldnt kno where to look for a tanaka at that $. And the 460 has easily replaced parts, tanaka stuff is more $ and thats if you can find it.

The 47R was designed for a gokart and scooter, so it's a people mover.:devilish:

I was lucky enough to find a ported 47R on your goped site, also a brand new 47R elsewhere. They have a few Tanaka parts online, so that's a plus.

I like both engines, but have had bad luck with 460 clutch springs.:sick:

Back