DIY Friction Drive Experiment

rawly old,
I like your idea creating a small v-belt pulley & saving money w/DIY vs going thru GEBE.
Directly driving the spokes (GEBE, Whizzer & DIY version) isn't building a better mousetrap however.
-lowracer-

It's not a whizzer, (just 35cc as opposed to 97cc), and I didn't build it
for comercial reasons. I will put it up against a GEBE with same cc & rider wt.
anytime. Further, my belt and aluminum drive ring will outlive their plastic
one, Period.

I built it cuz friction wasn't gettin' it in this wet climate, cuz my $20 staton
roller wore out after 2 gals. of gas. I built it because no one seemed to think
I could.

rawly old,
The only gripe I continually hear from GEBE owners is spoke breakage.
If you get any spoke breakage once its has a bunch of miles on it, you could always modify it & attach a same size rim to the spoked rim. Driving the rim instead of the spokes. Two rims attached together make for a stronger wheel (haven't had to true mine once).
-Lowracer-

Yeah, I'm concerned about that as well. I've wrapped a bit of copper wire around
most of the drive side spokes where they meet the ring, but I'm not sure how much
. good it will do. Were these failures due to wear at the ring on the spokes,(I wouldn't
think so), or was it more likely stress & vibration? I suppose the plastic ring might
flex causing metal fatigue. I wonder what part of the spoke is most prone to fail?
The 2 rim idea is interesting. Having a larger rim would facilitate a larger pulley
and could create a greater range of ratios for different engines. Perhaps a 22" or
24" rim rather than a 20". I think another 26" would be too close to the ground
and liable to pick up mud and rocks. If I find a 22 or 24, i may just try it with one
of my other bikes. I've just come by another shaft to such an end. Like that
$15 new blue '70s 3 spd. every thing on that build other than the GX35 was
recycled junk.

The two rim setup does have limited tire width choices, but since I only use mine for road riding, I've had no 'touchdown' issues. The hot setup would be to slightly seperate the two rims as long as frame/fork clearance provided the extra space without having to hack up the frame. I'm a firm believer in never doing any permanent damage to the original bicycle frame such as drilling holes or cutting/rewelding.
See how the spokes hold up & if they ever give you trouble, then maybe do some re-engineering, if not, then ride on...
-lowracer-

I'm sure it's fine under the right conditions; i just don't live anywhere near
those conditions.

Back