Sprockets the Howard Sprocket Mount is HERE!!!- first run from CNC shop

Is this design a winner?

• Not bad for an amature, looks like it might work fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dunno- MIGHT be better than a ragmount

• What a waste of aluminum...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sgt. Howard

Local time
3:17 AM
As promised, here is the first Howard mount from Brewster Manufacturing. At least, so I hope- computers have been ... fussy... here lately...
AHA!!! IT... IS... ALIVE!!!!! ... sorry, couldn't resist... actually, I could have, but I didn't want to... here is four shots of the system off the bike, should be easy enough to understand at a glance. Over-engineered, way too sturdy for the task at hand... in short, a typical Howard operation. That's the way I build rifles, I see no need to do motored bikes any different. The "bullet Proof" mount... well, maybe that's a bit strong- I have AP rounds that would make quick hash of it, but you get the general idea. LMK waddya think-
the Old Sgt.

Attachments

• sm1 001.jpg
    sm1 001.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 444
  • sm1 003.jpg
    sm1 003.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 407
  • sm1 004.jpg
    sm1 004.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 387
  • sm1 005.jpg
    sm1 005.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 385
Just a loose quote- I'm guessing in the $50 to $55 market. That includes 6 bolts, nine spacers and the three pieces- you supply the HT sprocket and use THEIR nine 6mm bolts.
the Old Sgt.

I like it, but i would like it better if it were round rather than a square / triangle shape.
I just think it would look out of place on a round wheel, round hub and round sprocket.
Gotta keep the round theme going to make everything flow in my opinion.

Those flat surfaces are so the bolt heads can anchor better- perhaps not asthetic to some, but I am informed that had I made these out of steel I could easily crush the hub with them. I like 'solid'. Your life rides on that hub, I will not further endanger it. It makes concentricity easy to achieve and near impossible to loose- just did the tests today. No slippage... AND I GREASED THE HUB TO SEE IF I COULD MAKE IT FAIL! 6.75 square inches of contact surface held tight by 6 5/16" bolts, each with a full linear inch of threaded purchase into 60 rockwell aluminum.
I will match it against any other.
the Old Sgt.

to all u machinists out why hasnt anyone come up with a coupler for the new red air filtered carbs to fit the intakes instead of the nylon gaskets they use and do nothing more than melt away. im quite sure someone could make one out of aluminum just saying

Currently working on the very thing- sealing the carb end and the gap of the useless nylon bushing with formagasket2 seems to extend it's temporary lifespan, but by how much I do not know. Once I find the magic dimentions that allow for easy installation with reliable seal, it will go to the same people making the hub mount.
BTW- the production of the hub mount is going foreward. Should have the first twenty sets in two weeks... if more are needed, more can be had.
the Old Sgt.

to all u machinists out why hasnt anyone come up with a coupler for the new red air filtered carbs to fit the intakes instead of the nylon gaskets they use and do nothing more than melt away. im quite sure someone could make one out of aluminum just saying

yes, the plastic / nylon gasket is a cheap way to make it work.
i think that the carb should have a flanged end on it, that would bolt to an intake manifold that also has a flanged end on it (double flanged).
the manifold would bolt to the cylinder with a gasket.
the carb would bolt to the intake manifold with a gasket for a fool proof seal.
BUT, someone would have to re-design the end of the carb and put a flange on it, or make a peice of tube that would go into the carb. and have a flange on the end.
But then you would have the same problem...a round peice of tube going into the carb with no real way to seal it.
the main goal is to try and eliminate that plastic/nylon seal and pinch bolt design.
My 50 c.c. 2 stroke doesn't even have an intake tube. The carb has a flange & gasket and it bolts directly to the cylinder.

Last edited:
Back