Ngk B6hs

Big Red

Local time
12:23 PM
I've been looking for the recomended spark plug for my 2-strokes, The NGKB6HS, all over the place. I guess I could have ordered it online and paid three times the price, but I'm too cheap to do that. I've called Kragens before and they said they didn't carry it. WELL, I thought I'd try one more time and guess what? I talked to someone that knew what he was doing. Hey, I was suprised too. I'm pretty sure I've heard some on this site also say that Kragens did not carry it. Come to find out, you have to speak their language. According to them, It's a NGK 7534. He pulled one out and sho nuff, It said NGK B6HS and below had the number Kragens goes by, 7534.
Yeah, I know, Kragens is now O'RIELYS,(it will always be Kragens in my heart) But I hope this makes it easier for some people to get the right plug. There's a Kragens in almost every town. All ya gotta do is speak Kragenese.
Big Red.

I've got the NGKB6, and NGKB5. The B5 does better overall?! I'm located in SW Va. with many hills, and both plugs are good, but B5 has stronger reaction on this little china creation 66cc.

I've used other plugs, and NGK is the only way to go.................

plugs

a lot of the plug manufacturers are going to the 4 digit standardized numbering system. 7534 is the new numbers. Bosch does this too. Advance auto has them for $2.09 minus 20% coupon and you can have it shipped to the store free. O'reileys will match prices.
The b5 plug is hotter so just watch out that u do not burn a piston. I am running an e-3/10 which is a mower plug and too hot ,but i have been too lazy to buy the right one. The bike came this way. I just upgraded my plug wire and boot so the spark is even hotter.
Be careful on hot days up hills with hot plugs. Synthetic oil is a good insurance plan. so is no ethanol gasoline if you can find it.

stupid but i guess standardisation is a good thing...

the heat range of a plug doesnt affect combustion temps or piston temps.

it does determine whether the electrode is self destructing, self cleaning, or self fouling... and can affect starting to some extent.

an engine that doesnt get hot needs a hot plug. like a 4 or 5...a hot engine needs a cold plug... tis why you see 11 and 13 on most modern car engines... very hot engines, very cold plugs...

i think my bp7hs is a bit too cold... might get a 5...

and the numbers between different brands dont necessarily match...

ngk all da way :D

enlighten me

stupid but i guess standardisation is a good thing...

the heat range of a plug doesnt affect combustion temps or piston temps.

it does determine whether the electrode is self destructing, self cleaning, or self fouling... and can affect starting to some extent.

an engine that doesnt get hot needs a hot plug. like a 4 or 5...a hot engine needs a cold plug... tis why you see 11 and 13 on most modern car engines... very hot engines, very cold plugs...

i think my bp7hs is a bit too cold... might get a 5...

and the numbers between different brands dont necessarily match...

ngk all da way :D

You seem to have my misunderstanding of plugs sorted out but some of your own too. do hot plugs run hotter or not?
Is my e-310 too hot for these motors?
here is wikipedia's answers. I find it pretty funny that they have a ngk as their pretty picture plug. good motorcycle plugs ,but old school always told me that they run "hot". I really like denso's in my japanese motors too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_plug#Heat_range

ok, a hot plug like a b4hs has its INSULATOR get hot. not the flame, not the spark, just the insulator nose.

conversely, the insulator doesnt get as hot on a colder ranged plug.

a hot insulator burns off any carbon deposits, so are used on lawnmowers or industrial engines that dont rev particularly high, are usually rich running, etc. make a lot of carbon and dont get hot. use a plug thats too cold and it will be forever fouling and hard to start.

an engine that gets hot produces less carbon, etc so the insulator doesnt have to be so hot. select a plug thats too hot and it will melt...

this "heat" has nothing to do with the engines performance, except that a hot plug will start slightly easier when cold... because they burn off any deposits ;)

and saying all this means i now know why i need the choke to start! :eek:

It also means

If you allow a plug to run too hot , it allows pre-ignition /detonation, which causes engine damage. you are probably correct that these little motors run
relatively cold.

B6HS is the wrong plug I did research and found that B6HS is the middle plug when its supposed to be either or higher or lower.

Get an aftermarket spark plug. In fact, get a couple so you have spares. They are cheap. These bikes use a cheap Chinese plug and get a little better performance with a name-brand part. Spark gap is not critical. Gap your plug anywhere between .025"-.035 and it will work fine.

NGK B5HS or B7HS

B6hs

Yer right, The B6HS is the middle of B5 and B7. So if the B5 OR B7 is OK, why not the B6? ( Not too hot, Not too cold, It's just right.) These engines generally run a little cooler than most 2 strokes so a little hotter plug is fine. I don't know why you would want to run a cooler plug though. I don't know it all so if you can explain it perhaps I'll learn something new.
Big Red.

All I can tell you to do for your own good is to read. You havent dug up anything I ever seen but you back heliosmuck and the EZ dumptruck crew who continue to provide complete false information and insist to new commers that you know exactly what your talking about.
shame on you. Ive ridding all my life and Im still learning. Im free and I dont follow anyone. So take your dump truck crew and quiz them thats were been doing dont change up now.
You were all togethor trying to modify something that didnt run. I know you didnt appogive to the new commer for doing it. Shame on you again. All you're around here is trying to make things difficult for people that real knowledge. More then likely trying to mess up someones good time ridding. I aint seen anything impressive with 5 of your buddies all trying to team up and say the same irrelavent information.

Last edited:
Back