Up grading batteries for 24v Ezip system

Was just wondering, can I use the ezip sla case and install in place lithium batteries in that same case for my currie ezip and get a lithium charger?

MotorbikeMike45 -

Question for you... Can a builder place TWO medium-power motors (same make, model, etc) on a bike and have only one controller run both? For me, one motor, even a 750 watt, may not be powerful enough. But two might be. Sure there is more cost, but torque to get up and go has higher priority. I would place the motors as if in the corners of a box, so each would engage a chain for 90 degrees of the gear's sprocket.

This may be hard to visualize, but if you do, what is your opinion?

MikeJ

I think it would be possible, but the controller would have to be robust enough to handle the amount of current 2 motors could draw. When I was running the 48Volt battery I was pulling a little more than 1,100Watts when accelerating from a dead stop or up a steep hill when I allowed it to bog down, about 21Amps. With the 36Volt battery I'm normally pulling 850Watts or a bit more when accelerating from a dead stop, about 24Amps). Watts=VoltsxAmps, where Watts is a measure of work being done, Volts is a measure of the "umph"(like pressure in a water line) needed to do work, and Amps is a measure of the electric current flow while accually doing work(like the volumn of water flowing through a line). As long as you make sure the current(Amps) doesn't exceed the rating of the controller you will be fine. Remember, Volts equals speed and power, amphours equals range per charge. Pulling high amps for a long time drains the battery quickly. Assisting with pedaling, especially on long or steep hills, or when accelerating from a dead stop is one of the best ways to increace range. Once the bike is at top speed the Wattage draw drops down to less than half of the max draw during acceleration or when climbing a hill.

Was just wondering, can I use the ezip sla case and install in place lithium batteries in that same case for my currie ezip and get a lithium charger?

Just asking my quote question again to anyone with knowledge who can reply to it.

Thanks Neon, good suggestion about Endless Sphere. I will pay attention to wattage also when the time comes.
The one piece of decent advice you received was to go to Endless-sphere. But it looks like you already wasted some money on lead-acid batteries. No matter. You'll be shopping again soon considering the rate lead-acid degenerate.
On batteries, there's a lot to be said, but I will summerize to avoid all that said. For an ebike, Li-poly from Hobby King(HK). You may find other vendors, but ES people generally resort to HK. Don't buy used batteries. And, under no circumstances, buy lead-acid. LiFePO4 nanotech are not bad either. They're safer than Li-poly, they have a longer calendar life, and they have more charge-recharge cycles, but nothing easily available beats the specific energy (measured in Watt-hours/Kg) of Li-poly.
For a motor, of course, go with Brushless. Brushed DC motors are obsolete. The choice is what kind of BLDC motor, and with ebikes, this is a choice between hub, geared-hub, frame-mount (usually mid-drive).
You'll also need a Battery Management Unit (BMU) to keep from over charging or allowing to discharge too far.
And you'll need a controller.
The E-zip has a brushed DC motor that drives a freewheel sprocket on the rear wheel via a short chain. You could upgrade that bike, but you'll probably start from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Nehmo. I am now weighing getting a brand new bike with dual suspension and then installing a 48v 1000 watt system with a Ping LifePO4 on a bike from scratch, maybe sell the original ezip. The ezip ain't a bad bike though, pretty solid. I could upgrade it with a Papamotors kit which is what I have been considering. It's about a grand but a very nice system. The Ping LifePO4 is a 20amp battery so he claims at 48v it will have power plus long range. They sell a 5amp charger too so it can cut the recharge time in half from their free 2amp charger. About 59 bucks. The Papamotors uses gearless front or rear hub. I probably will stay with a front hub because it is a much easier install. I wasn't sure if the LifePO4 was the battery that bursts into flames as when the bike is not in use but charged, it is stored in a garage attached to the house... Anyhow here is the Papamotors setup I have been considering and the Ping battery seems to have a big following on the net with most everyone positive.

http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/the-2/lifepo4-lithium-ion-phosphate/Detail

http://www.electric-bikekit.com/387...ncluded-for-us-ca-au-europe-2-weeks-delivery/

My decision with the existing Ezip is going with the LifePO4 36 volt 15amp or 20 ah battery. Depends on how Ping would wire it. I need two leads, one red and one black and then the plug for the charger. I suspect the leads I wire the battery into are cut when I turn off the original switch for it. As for mounting it, battery bag on top of rear rack strapped down.

I am using Ping LiFePo4 batteries rated at 36V 20 amphour. I had a 48V 15amphour battery from Ping, the same size as the 36V 20amphour battery, so interchangable in the battery boxes of my bikes, but I sold it on an e-bike. I like the longer range 20 amphour gives me and the 22MPH I get with 36V is fast enough for me. The Ping batteries come wired with a charging plug/port their battery chargers plug into. I understand the 48V 20amphour battery comes as 2 pieces, like 2- 48V 10amphour batteries that you wire together. Make sure you wire them together exactly as the instructions show. There is a battery management system that equalizes the charge to each cell and if you wire it wrong it could screw it up. Also be very careful to never touch the hot(red) and ground(black) wires together, shorting out the battery, as it may damage some of the very expensive cells.

Thanks Mike, you have great advice. I have been in contact with Mr. Ping on this. He informed me a Ezip fork can't handle either the 1000 or 500 watt 48Volt systems. Papamotors has a differing opinion as they sell these fork torque add-ons to strengthen the fork drop ins. In this case since I am riding flat on the bike trails I am seriously going to consider this. I opened up the cover on my ezip motor and can't get it back together now. The magnets shot out with springs, a real bear to fix. But I was considering replacing the current ezip system anyhow. I know there is a currie site that sells 36volt motors and also controller for mainly scooters, not sure they work on my ezip trailz.

Ping also pointed something out to me. My ezip being a 2011 model, the motor cannot handle more than 24volts as the older motors did. That being the case, I'll probably do a Papamotors on this and pull the old controller, wiring motor and battery rack maybe. Papamotors uses Ping batteries as Li pointed out to me so he still gets a sale and the Papamotors guys seem okay. The only thing that is a killer is the 100 bucks shipping charges...worse than tax :O

Last edited:
25.9V Li-ion - Recycled!

I decided to do an "in-depth" comparison of my Li-ion replacement vs the eZip oem SLA pack.

..... 25.9V 31.2Ah (9lb 12oz) = 808Wh ..... vs ..... 24V 10Ah** (15lb 2oz) = 240Wh (120-140Wh usable)
file.php

Li-ion vs SLA.JPG

SLA is a major heat producer - 40-50% wasted as heat!
Li-ion and lipo, at modest rates, near 100% efficient. No noticeable heat production!

SLA (10Ah) - expended in 1 hour = 6.14Ah *
24V x 10Ah = 240wh
.614C drain = 147w output to motor for 1 hour and 93wh wasted heat ~60% efficient
1C drain (10A) = 240w output to motor for 1/2 hour and 120wh wasted heat ~50% efficient

Li-ion - recycled laptop cells.
25.9V x 31.2Ah = 808wh (Smaller than and weighs about 1/2 the 10Ah SLA pack!)
.2C drain = 160w output to motor for 5 hours and 2-3wh wasted heat per hour ~98% efficient
.333C drain = 260w output to motor for 3 hours and 10-15wh wasted heat per hour ~95% efficient

The recycled Li-ions I use are designed for a .25-.33-.5C discharge rate. 2-4 hour runtime.
Surge output, IMIO, should be limited to 1C. 31.2Ah pack for ~30A controller.

*SLA batteries are typically rated at a 20hr discharge.
A 10Ah discharged in 1hr, typically, outputs a meager 6.14Ah.
**SLA pack rebuilt with 11Ah "rated".

Last edited:
Back