For those who have been pulled over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been pulled over twice.
Both times I was asked the usual questions. (how fast, mpg..etc)
One time the cop asked me "do you have to have a licence"
The other time the cop said "I won't give you a ticket for running the stop sign, if you tell me all about your bike".

I am 42 and always wear a helmet. My bike tops out at 32mph. I think all three of these factors keeps me from being pulled over.

My two teenage boys have motorized bikes too. They have never been pulled over. I have set their bikes up to top out a 27mph and they always wear a helmet. I think these factors have a lot to do with it. (In Ca. max speed 30mph)

I TOTALLY agree with Sparky's comments along the lines of:

"The idea is that I want to be "out of commerce"."

Me too. I have no interest in furthering what I see as an ever-intrusive quasi-police state mentality when all I'm doing is riding my bike around and not causing anyone any problems. I don't carry my wallet when I ride my MB for the same reasons Sparky gave.

It might not be much but I've decided to draw the line here where I feel I can get away with NOT being part of the darn system!

Plain and simple. I live in the belly of the MB unfriendly beast!

Hook a couple LED's to your white wire for tail and headlights. Search the threads for my post.

If you get pulled over, (always pedal) the cops video camera will support your claim (don't let him know that, lest the film disappear). Let him do whatever he has to do, but explain THEEE ONLY REASON YOU HEARD IT RUNNING WAS FOR THE LIGHTS!

No way - no how was I under motor power. I'd love to see what they say to that when you explain your 1 little tank of gas does the ammount of work that 100 AA batteries would in a year. I wanted to be safe your Honor (lights), 100 batteries per year would pollute the heck out of the environment and the wheel generators slow me down.

Pulled Over.

I'm just glad California has already dealt with most of the issues concerning MB's. as I'm sure most states will do the same sooner rather than later. Most cop's here are only worried about helmet laws and safety, (stop signs, speeding, ect.) Although there are laws requiring an M-2 and plates.
I hope those guys in other states that slap on a 49cc/66cc/454 Hemi, get away with it forever. All I can say is good luck with that.
Some people think if you put a motor on a bicycle it's still "JUST A BICYCLE". If that were true than everybody would be putting Ninja engines on their bikes. WHY NOT, IT'S STILL JUST A BICYCLE, ISNT IT? No license or registration required couse IT'S JUST A BICYCLE, RIGHT? If people keep putting together MB's that will outrun most Mopeds, That, by the way, require license and reg. OR If some politition driving his car at 45mph gets passed by a motorized doing 55mph, how long do you think it will take to get a law in place?
The short answer to all of this is NO, It's no longer "JUST A BICYCLE"
I also hate the way the Govt. thinks it has to run every little thing about our lives. Most of the time it's simply about power. Very rarely are they truly concerned about our safety. So, the point I'm trying to make here is, The laws are going to be there sooner or later anyway. If you don't like the laws, get involved in changing them instead of doing NOTHING. Riding OUTLAW is great untill you get your bike took and you're standing in front of the judge saying, YER HONOR, IT'S JUST A BICYCLE.
Big Red.

Or you could take my argument Big Red and say Your Honor, if I was to pedal a moped from Niagara Falls to NYC, would I be in trouble? Would I have even been stopped?

Pulled Over.

Hey machiasmort,
PERHAPS, If only for a psyc. eval. (just kidding bro.)
A moped, in most states, is designated as a motor vehical and needs to be registered. MB.s fall under a slightly different class. And sure, you could pedal or push ANYTHING without a D.L. including your car, As long as the cop never saw or heard the engine running you could beat it in court. All I'm trying to say is once you're doing 55mph on a motorized, SOMEONE is going to take notice and start pushing laws about it. It's YOUR responsibility to make sure those laws are passed in your favor in YOUR state. Like I said earlier, If you do NOTHING, then the GREAT State of New York could simply outlaw anything that is not made by Honda or Yamaha or....
AND, just MY opinion, I don't think it's too much to ask for a person to demonstrate some competence before propelling a motorized at 45mph through traffic and crosswalks with children in them. You sound like a real down to earth kind of dude, BUT, ya gotta admit theirs a LOT of idiots in this world that tend to mess it up for the more responsible people. THOSE people are the ones laws are passed for. If everybody did the right thing everytime we would'nt have half the laws we have today.
So machiasmort, All we have to do is what Garfield did to Odie, Box up all the idiots and ship them to Addis Abbaba. Then we could get rid of almost every law on the books. Jeez, Would'nt that be a better world to live in.
Thanks,
Big Red.

Thanks for showing level headed respect Red! LOL!

I almost got swatted tonight! Got to my corner, which I rip-roared to. Cop across street seen me, so I killed it and began to pedal! I hat e using the kill switch cuz it beats up the magneto.

I swear to god he turned toward me and away 3X before stopping in the middle of the street! A main route! LOL! He went the other way!

Do what I'm telling you and say exactly as I'm telling you, don't be one of those idiots, and you've got a real good chance at beating them by their own book!

Wish I could guarantee results, but NYS specifies anything w/ a motor on it needs to be registered.

They hypocrite themselves, disability vehicles/ older mopeds that could be pedaled as aforementioned.

I’d file a Division of Human rights complaint so fast their heads would spin! You are going to run me through the ringer admitting you seen me pedal, but have not seen a mobility scooter on the road? I’ve got a disability also tho!

So you can't proove I was even under motor power? Think of how it would look!

Disability as difined by NYS Law is anything that takes away a core life function. Tell your Doctor that your pooohoper don't smell right and pedaling bothers you.

Get a note and show up in court!

It opens Judge and Cop up to a $50,000 fine. See how quick they reconsider the revenue from harassing you.

Oh, you don't have film to show I pedaled? Good, show how many mobility scooters you pulled over in the last two years for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back