For those who have been pulled over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtbikemike2435

Local time
9:23 AM
I was wondering what the cops have asked you when u have been pulled over. Also what are the things they do to your MB.

One night about 3 years ago, I was stopped by a policeman.

He stepped out of his car w/ flashing lights and said, "License, registration, and insurance."

I laughed at him and asked, "Are you serious?"

He actually was serious. He had seen that my bicycle was completely self-propelled, as I could not pedal without my pedal chain (just changed to a larger crank flywheel, but couldn't get a longer chain at 8 o'clock at night).

He told me that I was on a motorcycle, a 2-wheeled motor vehicle. I attempted to tell him that I did what I could to question other gov't officials.

He didn't care. He threatened me with 20 tickets, but he wrote me only two -- no helmet, no headlight. I remedied both issues ASAP -- a helmet from the thrift store and an LED flashlight with a Twofish Lockblock mount.

After that night, I never rode without my pedal chain again. I haven't had any issues whatsoever, except one undercover cop flashed their lights and told me to STOP! I did and they asked all about if I built it or bought it, how fast it went, how many MPGs, etc. "The typical inquiry."

I learned from my prior experience to just shut up. I answered their questions, but when one cop started pondering, "I'm just trying to figure out if it's a motorcycle or a bicycle," I just let him keep pondering. Had I opened my mouth and answered the question for him, he would have likely disagreed just to see me in court. They never asked for license, name, DOB, SSN, address, etc. But I did have my "attorney general opinion" that because a motorized bicycle is mentioned ONLY in the Brakes section of the MS Code, then that is all that is required (in addition to a headlight for all bicycles).

I even stopped at a red light a month or two back and a Sheriff pulled up beside me. I was kinda freaked out, because he was facing me, his window was rolled down, and he was about to say something. He said: "I know you're on a bicycle, but you still have to follow all traffic rules."

I replied, "I usually....", but then saw his eyes jump out at me, so I corrected myself, "I always do follow the rules, sir." Then he smiled and we parted ways.

Cops don't want honesty. I will go out of my way to tell people the Truth, but not a cop.

Gotcha thanks for all the info, im 15 so i dont want them thinking oh this kids gana hurt himself or pull me over for something stupid...i was just wondering what to say and stuff, the cops arent here are a real hassle but i have figured out a motor assisted bike is a real gray area but i think i can get by:cry:

It matters what state you're in and the current regs there as to speed, if one needs registration, drivers license or if they are even legal at all. For example, where I live, the minimum age is 16 and a DL is required.

Depends

Hi,

FWIW, I agree with Happy Valley. It really seems to depend on what state you're in and then where in that state you ride (urban or rural).

If you want to avoid problems, wear a helmet, have a light, pedal whenever you see cars around, don't go faster than about 20 mph (slower when cops are around), follow all the bicycle rules and don't be a moron.

If you get pulled over, have a copy of your state's law (or your city if that's the case) printed on a piece of paper so you can show the cop you TRIED to follow the rules but do NOT offer anything else. ONLY answer the questions s/he asks and no more. Be polite.

If you did all that, you'd probably be fine and you couldn't do much more.

Despite that, you may get unlucky and run into a jerk with a badge one day.

My experience these last 3 years has been that all the cops just ignore me. I look like some old fart who is half crazy on a weird bicycle.

Sadly, that's just about right!

hahaha well all that does make sense and i am riding in illinois kinda urban but thats what i was thinking, be polite an all

sparky

So when u got stopped did you, or do you have it registered.
I got Ins. but no Reg. I've never been talked to by a cop, but i have gotten a double take. my neibor is a cop. dont ask dont tell. I took all badges off LZ3 exeptgrubee sticker so when they ask its a 49cc Ha ha :D

Not registered, nor will it be registered.

The idea is that I want to be "out of commerce". No commercial papers of any kind are required for me to exercise my right to free travel on a bike that I have [re-]built.

Why step in the game of commerce and start playing by their rules? I don't understand. I can hold them to their rules, but I never agreed to anything. There's no evidence that I have a drivers license and agreed to follow all "rules of the road", even on a bicycle. If you have a DL, you agreed to do certain things. Why incriminate yourself by carrying the DL around? Why identify yourself if you never harmed anybody?

If you're 15, tho... just work on getting the loctite to keep all the bolts in place. Then work on making it to 16.

State laws differ so much . I have never been stopped in Florida.

Cops usually ignore me.

I've had a sheriff pull me over to ogle over my bike.

I've had a cop pull up to me in congested traffic and order me to ride in the curb lane.

I ride my bike past the main police station and the police substation and "ghost pedal".

I follow all the rules of the road and "ghost pedal" at every intersection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back