Need help on how to install small gear in the clutch gear box...

NunnSon

Local time
8:35 AM
My small gear broke on my Skyhawk and I bought a new one but I have no idea how to get it on. I'm afraid of breaking it if I hammer on it too much. I've tried WD-40. I've searched the forum for plenty of threads about removing the small gear but not any help on putting it on. Can anyone give me any clues? I'm getting pretty frustrated at this point. I just want to ride!

I appreciate the post but again that's for removing the gear. I need help on installing the gear. I can't get it on.

Goes back on in the reverse of removing it. May want to put some heat to expand the hole. Is that the same one you took off? If not mike the shaft hole. They may be different.

I broke the original. This is a new part. How do I put heat on it? I tried putting it in the oven for a bit but that didn't seem to help. I don't have a blow torch or anything like that.

I broke the original. This is a new part. How do I put heat on it? I tried putting it in the oven for a bit but that didn't seem to help. I don't have a blow torch or anything like that.

bake at 450 for 1 hour. if that doesnt do it then you might consider following Al's advice.

bake at 450 for 1 hour. if that doesnt do it then you might consider following Al's advice.

I tried putting it in the oven for an hour and it still won't go on. I can usually only tap it about halfway but it never gets all the way back flush. How do you "mike the shaft hole"? What does that mean?

Keep tapping it on, not directly hitting it with hammer, use a pice of wood, or better still, a special hammer that has a non metal surface.
http://hammernet.com/vaughan/pages/products/soft-face-hammers-mallets.php
It's a press fit, if you remember how the old gear came off, how tight it was, then it's the same, or ought to be the same tightness.
However, there might be slightly different sizes.
"mike" means, micrometer.
Some examples
https://www.alltools.com.au/shop/index.php/344/1142_Sidchrome_0_-_75mm_3pce_Micrometer_Set

Therefore, go to a machine shop, ask if they can look at it, they will know from expereince.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Are you aligning the woodruff key correctly? The micrometer posted above this post is for the shaft itself... here is one for both the gear and the shaft... http://cgi.ebay.com/Starrett-inside...729?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aac5b45e9 I wouldn't waste money on it but a machine shop will have both inside and outside micrometers.

I figured out that I lost my woodruff key so I'm going to have to order another one. I found an ATV repair place that will help me put the gear one once I have it.

I also lost the screw that secures the flower nut on the clutch. Any ideas on how I could replace that without bringing the motor inside a hardware store and randomly trying screws?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back