do shift kits make you go faster?

Not sure "crutch" is a good word choice. Heck just buy a Ferrari with a single speed if you don't need a crutch :whistle:. I do agree that, of course, turning a jackshaft does rob power. No doubt about that - but as far as why the few races so far not many riders even use shifter kits is because they don't really need them. Relatively flat course, ability to keep it WFO, and a single start. Given a rider who can properly select gears, some hills and really deep curves, it might be a different story.

Besides the electric motors leave the gas engines in such an arena. I wonder why? :D

Well said Pablo. It stands to reason a jackshaft adds resistance but the ability to select ratios to better suit variations in riding conditions I wouldnt call a crutch. Its something thats incorporated into most all forms of automotive vehicless. Cheers

I use the Staton Inc crank kit on my Land Rider auto shift bike. On the crank 28, 34 and 42. I use a twist shift to change the crank gears. The wheel gears are 28-14, 7 speed which shift automatically. This is my setup: 28 uphill 7+ mph, 34 level ground 30 mph and 42 downhill 45+ mph. Robin Subaru EHO 35, 18.75:1 gearbox. Gearbox to crank 17:44.

Last edited:
Yes

Do shift kits make you go faster?
They do if you have the motor for it.

Do shift kits make your overall riding experience better?
Absolutely, and in every case, even with a bone stock 48cc.

I've built and test rode a dozen, been riding a high performance 66cc with one for over a year, have another High Performance 66cc build in the shop and parts for my new 49cc 4-stroke 3-speed shifter personal ride on their way.

In fact Paul (aka Pablo) and Jim over at Sick Bike Parts asked me last week if they could refer their callers wanting assembled shift kit bikes to me.
That was friendly of them ;-}

Here are some things to keep in mind if go shifter:

It won't make you faster than the power you motor can make.

If your motor can make 3HP you'll love gears and yes you can go faster if you have the bike for it.
That means a GOOD bike, NOT a wally world Huffy.

This was my personal ride for over a year before I sold it last week for $950 to try 4-stroke shifters next.

KCbike1-2012.gif

It looks humble enough but that is a solid $500 3-speed Giant bike and 66cc Skyhawk with some performance enhancements.

It always started easy on the 1st pedal, 0-25MPH in ~3 seconds, to 40MPH in 6 seconds and comfortable to ride at that speed.
I tucked in and bent over and hit 45MPH but that was too fast for me, for the most part I rode around without the motor breaking a sweat at 35MPH.

There are some cons however...

If you don't have the tools, skills and patience to mate the kit to your motor and then to your bike perfectly you will have nothing but problems.
These are hard core power transfer parts, there is no fudging precise alignment and zero room for loose things.

They also add an extra chain and neither of the JS chains are easy to adjust, but a fix for that is actually in the works as I type.

If you are mechanically inclined however the difference is night and day from a direct drive.

The first thing you'll notice after you discover you don't have bike momentum to help you bump start it (it's all pedals to start the motor), is when you let off the gas your motor drops to idle but you continue to coast along with no drag because of your pedal sides hub freewheels.

That also means you better make sure you have good brakes.

I hope that helps.

For me personally, less is more. I have everything stock with the exception of a chrome muffler, B6H spark plug, and pineapple sprocket mount. I am perfectly content at cruising the speed limit of 20mph. I have a 44 tooth sprocket so I can get going uphill pretty good too (26mph). Since my frame is cracked I won't push anything over 30mph. I have 878 miles on my 66cc of which 366 miles are with the crack in the frame. I was going to toss the frame out at the behest of concerned mbers but sure am glad I didn't.

I am perfectly content at cruising the speed limit of 20mph.
...Since my frame is cracked I won't push anything over 30mph...
...I was going to toss the frame out at the behest of concerned members but sure am glad I didn't.
Well, armor up when you ride because it's going to break the rest of the way and send you for an uncomfortable nap with Mr. Pavement, and no matter how fast you are going it won't be a pleasant nap.

But hey, if you built it yourself with an Ebay BGF motor kit on a wally world Huffy for $300 power on, ride it 'till it finishes breaking and as you lay there on the road you can still think about how smart you were saving money.

'Nuff said?
I think so.

Well, armor up when you ride because it's going to break the rest of the way and send you for an uncomfortable nap with Mr. Pavement, and no matter how fast you are going it won't be a pleasant nap.

But hey, if you built it yourself with an Ebay BGF motor kit on a wally world Huffy for $300 power on, ride it 'till it finishes breaking and as you lay there on the road you can still think about how smart you were saving money.

'Nuff said?
I think so.

Mr. Pavement and I are old pals. As far as the crack goes it is done cracking because I "sewed it up", permanently. The bike is a Raleigh, the motor came from BikeBerry, and as I'm riding it I think about what a great job I did saving it instead of throwing it away. You thought of me laying in the road, ouch. I live in love, not in fear.

Well silly me, that's what I get for assuming.
I haven't built on a Raleigh but my local bike store carries them, pricey but they look like really sturdy bikes, how the heck did you crack the frame?
More specifically, where did it crack?

I certainly do agree about repairing a bike like that, nice job ;-}

I actually got a spiffy new (to me) repair/customize tool in recently, a buddy dropped of his 115V Mig welder with a couple of spools of rod and a full Argon gas bottle as he was out of storage room 'just in case' I could use it. AKA store it for him ;-}

I don't know how to use it well yet but there is no such thing as too many good tools right?

As for Mr. Pavement and I, we are blood brothers, literally.
I address him as Mr. out of respect, and tread lightly on him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no scaredy pants riding, my normal cruising speed is 35-40MPH, I just do it on a high dollar solid bike and never without my new best friend, a 1200 lumen Lithium powered CREE flashing front light ESPECIALLY during daylight riding.

If I have to visit Mr. P up close and personal again it won't because someone didn't see me coming unless they drive with a white cane out the drivers side window hehehe ;-}

The frame is cracked on the down tube where the water bottle cage bottom hole is. I am guessing it cracked from having four engines mounted on it. (2 48cc, 2 66cc) Also it is an aluminum frame. I don't think you'll be saying nice job once you see what a mess I made of the frame. I had to come up with a frankenmount job to sustain the life of my old friend. No welding. With the bikes you build I probably wouldn't be afraid to push 50-60mph (fully geared up), they look pretty solid. For visibility I use a bright orange mesh and yellow tape reflective vest. My night light is 900 lumens and I also have a 120 decibel horn.

Attachments

• crack_left_side.jpg
    crack_left_side.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 859
  • crack_right_side.jpg
    crack_right_side.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 855
  • front_left_mount_too.jpg
    front_left_mount_too.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 857
  • left_side.jpg
    left_side.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 836
  • right_side.jpg
    right_side.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 850
Bummer Jeff, but at least you are still mobile.

I spoil myself on my personal ride until I'm ready for something else to try then move it on, used, but used and maintained by me.
I am still having post pardom(sp?) depression from selling my last ride so I know what you mean about your bike Jeff hehehehe ;-}

As for customer builds I have a set price to make a good bike, DD or shifter, without the bike. Then I encourage them to go to real bike store and avoid Big Box store bikes in the Toy section.
I like Macargi bikes, they seem to be solid bikes for a reasonable price, especially the touch for ~$170 retail in the bike shop around the corner though I may have found a local source for 'just off the boat' boxes for much less, but not if you are under about 5'8" otherwise you feel cramped.

The 'big boy' models like the Pantera are better, that frame isn't going to even bend let alone break, the SBP front Z mount helps as it gives you almost 360 degree round coverage. In the case of this build it's a shifter so it has a pair of rear mounts the same way.

Just a thought for if and when your Frankinfix gives out ;-}

As for the topic title I will repeat myself, yes, a variable gear range will let you go faster if you have the motor to push against the wind and a bike that can take it.

Back