Crashes Life after traumatic brain injury...SO YA DON'T WEAR A HELMET?!?!

Local time
2:08 AM
Oakdale Calif. Cowboy capital of the world
Dirt Rag Magazine has an excellent story...SO READ IT AND WEAR YOUR HELMET (or shut up!)!
http://www.dirtragmag.com/webrag/life-traumatic-brain-injury
"...A woman then came in to remove the bandages from my head, clean it, and put staples in. The moment she started flushing the wound I went into an immediate sweat. I've had some nasty, bloody wounds before and all of them had a certain amount of pain associated with them, but this was a whole new level of pain. The pain I felt while just having the wound on my head flushed was the first pain I'd ever experienced that I would define as excruciating. It was the first time I experienced a pain so intense that it made me sick to my stomach. I was then told that she was going to put the staples in, and that since I had a head wound, they could not give me a local to numb me." :sick:
"About three months ago the kids and I were in the truck and had just pulled into the cul-de-sac. My neighbor was outside and threw his hand up. I stopped, we exchanged hellos, and he asked what we had been up to. I was blank-I couldn't answer. ...I spent an entire day with my kids and had no recollection of any of it. None."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that's bad but how many people have been injured because they were restricted by sight and hearing from wearing a helmet?
There's two sides to every coin.

Please back up your statement with facts from scientific studies. Sorry,but your statement does not hold up. Helmets are designed to not limit view (unless you are still wearing a 1970's era Bell Star (180). Restricting view can be said about wearing glasses too. As for hearing...well a beanie helmet does not cover the ears, and most helmets (including full face styles) do not reduce the Db's by much. I think a beanie style would be adequate for the speeds attained by most (legal) motored bicycles. It's your choice to wear or not to wear and to suffer (or not) the consequences of your decisions.

Yes that's bad but how many people have been injured because they were restricted by sight and hearing from wearing a helmet?
There's two sides to every coin.

I disagree......If you change that to how many people are injured by not selecting a helmet properly, then I might be on your side. Yes some helmets are to restrictive on vision and hearing, but not all. It is everyones responsibility to choose a helmet that is safest for them. What I put on my melon, might not be good for you and vice versa.

I also want to add...Why should the taxpayers (I see Jaguar is from Ecuador) shell out their hard earned cash on injuries to someone that participates in an activity and is not smart enough to wear the necessary protective gear...(same goes with tobacco users).

July 27th 1982 half mile flattrack race. Spent the next 7 days in a coma , the next 21 in and out of a coma. Still live with it today. Wearing the best Bell Star money could buy. If i was'nt would not be here now. Your choice, make it wisely....

Yeah... my wife worked in a head trauma long-term care facility for a couple of years after she graduated from college. A brain injury can change who you are, not just what you remember... And the worst part is, she said that many of these folks remember who they used to be, and are upset that they can't be that way again.

It's a strange thing, really.

I've known hundreds of bicyclists and/or motorcyclists in my lifetime, and of that number there have been at least three dozen who suffered serious head injuries in a crash.

NOT ONE OF THE 3 DOZEN FAILS TO DON A HELMET EVERY TIME THEY RIDE.

Most of them were anti-helmet laws before their crash, most were not wearing a helmet when they crashed. Based on that lifetime of experience I drilled into my kids the importance of a helmet, and my youngest son is alive and intact because he was wearing a helmet - when he hit and killed a yearling mule deer buck at 60 mph on a bicycle at the bottom of a long hill.

So, to each their own choice. Just don't show up in an emergency room with a split melon from crashing sans helmet and expect any sympathy.

Yea..Helmets are a good idea..I always wore one when racing motorcycles in the dirt or riding on the street..Bought a BMX helmet to wear when I built my motorbike..I started going for rides late in the afternoon when the sun is low and pretty blinding, even with the darkest prescription sunglasses I could get..I started wearing a brimmed cotton Boonie hat to keep the sun out of my eyes...Big mistake..crash , bang...off to the Trauma Unit I go in the meat wagon..Traumatic Brain Injury..in coma for almost a month..Don't remember anything at all...and now after 1 1/2 year of recuperation , I still have issues.... well thats enough..only took me about an hour to type that..

Back