my trike and new HF engine

I finally got to ride the thing around a bit yesterday. I need to put a bigger gas tank on it but it's running. I also still need to change the sprocket on the engine to a 12-13t from a 16t but that can wait a few days.

Attachments

• tl.jpg
    tl.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 1,634
  • tr.jpg
    tr.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 1,469
Thanks,
I prefer the front wheels setup like that. It's stronger than a one sided axle and if you happen to mangle a wheel somehow a regular 20" rim is a lot easier and cheaper to get hold of than a single sided version wheel. (I'm disabled and on a tight budget - I have to keep my frame builds as inexpensive as possible)
I don't have that problem anymore since I switched over to the plastic mag wheels but it does still give nice simple places to mount lights, speedometers, mirrors, etc..... over the wheels the front wheels.

Yea, that's my website. I like to build all kinds of stuff.

Lee

I've been giving thought to doing a trike......but I was going to use go-kart spindles and axles with go-kart tires....
I've seen some go-karts with front brakes and if I could find them I'd use them too....
Gets the center of gravity a little lower...

I built a 4 wheel bike a few years ago and used those for it. I used 26" heavy cart wheels and gokart stuff from Northerntool.com It was a heavy 4-wheeler but it had a big cargo space and electric assist. The gokart stuff works fine if you want a single sided wheel mount. I had no trouble with either the wheels or the spindle setups and I had to sleeve the axles because the wheels had 3/4" bearings.

I LIKE IT! now that's using what you got!
Very cool... I like the industrial look of it, I bet that puppy's fast.
Great idea using the plastic 20"wheels, way cheaper than those single siders I'm sure
What are you using for front brakes?
I'm diggin the cup holder.
I've been thinking of a sit up 26" wheeled "hammer head" trike and I like your front axle set up.
BBB

Last edited:
I have the large size scooter type band brakes on the front wheels. I like the plastic wheels because they won't dish out and warp no matter what I do to them. I ended up dishing so many front wheels I almost gave up on the trike format. I ride all over the place including trails in the woods etc... Since I've started using the plastic ones I haven't had any trouble at all.

I would think twice about using 26" wheels on the front dude, those don't take the side forces from a trike very well at all. The first trike I built used 26" all around and the front wheels were warped within a week.

Actually, it's only geared for about 25 mph max. I wanted trailer pulling capability more than I wanted speed. I normally only ride about 12-15 mph.

I would think twice about using 26" wheels on the front dude, those don't take the side forces from a trike very well at all. The first trike I built used 26" all around and the front wheels were warped within a week.

I agree.

I am using 24" wheels on the front of my Hammerhead, but I try to make all my corners very slow & gentle.

I have the large size scooter type band brakes on the front wheels.
Do you have any close-up pics of your band brake set up?

If you forget, you WILL remember quickly! Don't try to do a donut with it either. I learned the hard way, that dishes a spoked rim instantly.

Here is a pic of one of the wheels.
I used rear type wheels and just turned them around so the band brakes would screw on just like a free wheel. Nice and simple and they work better than any other brakes I have ever used on the trike. These things will stop it fine even with a heavy trailer load on the back.

Attachments

• wheel-brake.jpg
    wheel-brake.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 1,224
Back