How did you get started with Motorized Bicycles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local time
11:37 AM
It was 2002 and I was 22, had no bills and the whole world ahead of me.

I lived at home with my family and had no girlfriend and plenty of money to spend. But instead of spending my money on Apple stock (BIG MISTAKE?) I ended up finding a guy selling scooters on CL. This was before all the hoopla. I purchased what I later found out was a chinese "moquitos" 25.4cc scooter. The guy who sold me the kit was really cool and a scooter gear head, and he basically set me up with all the knowledge i needed about these little engines that could. He also set me up with an extra exhaust, carbs, clutches and he became my go to guy.

I got such a positive response from my friends that 4 of them went to my guy and bought scooters. We had a gang and always rode the riverbed together.....then the process of natural selection started to take place. We all had the same exact scooters but all of our speeds were different and we always seemed to have to wait for 1 friend who seemed to get the slowest scooter engine. Then there was the guy who was having engine trouble. For myself, it ran like a dream. (i guess that goes to show that these little chinese 2 stroke engines are truly like a box of chocolates....for those of you who insist on asking questions like "which is better?" or "what do you think about this engine?".....)

Well that went on for about year or so and then the novelty wore off, my friends' bikes broke down and they were over it. Soon, I was testing MY resolve to the cause and was frequently riding by myself. I got into porting my engine and modification and decided that the next most logical step was to move to a bicycle platform. So in 2003 after many weeks of R&D I decided to go with GEBE system.

I have never looked back. I have just recently sold that old GEBE kit and am making preparations to purchase the updated kit from them. I picked up 2 Tanaka engines, 35cc and 40cc that will be the power and am just waiting on the money to get the mount kit. If they don't turn out to be what I want I will pick up a g-43l engine ( they are just so **** expensive) I really donlt want to spend $1000 on my engine/ mount kit. BUT I WILL IF I HAVE TO.

Eventually after the motored bike, the next logical step i felt was a motorcycle, which of course, i got, however a minor accident and 2 back to back blowing through a red light camera tickets turned me off and now i am back to balls out motored biking!!!!

Yea I could have ended up a millionaire buying the APPLE stock in 2002 but I like my $43k / yr life I ended up with......where is my shotgun......:cry:

I will send new shots of the setup when I get up and running.

MB Intro

Just Fn around on google. Ive always liked Bicycles and a motor on it is a bonus.

Mini Bikes back in 1968/'69, moved up to 100-250 cc motorcycles and had friends with mo-peds etc. I have always enjoyed bicycling and now in my 50's with the aches and pains from working hard I decided my "Mid-life crisis" would be a M.B.

i love riding a bike,..but i really hate pedaling,.. that and i grew up seeing ads for bike motors in popular mechanics the last straw was seeing a teenager ride by my house on a obvoiusly homebuilt rig in 2000 i was hooked bought a friction drive kit and then a chinese 2 stroke,.. current bike is 80 cc ht with homemade jackshaft

I always dreamed of attaching a motor to my bicycle back when I was a teenager and had to pedal everywhere around town. There was barely a flat road in the town I grew up in and my current residence is located in an even more mountainous area.
I love riding bicycles but without the NEED to get somewhere on one I would have ended up taking the car or motorcycle everywhere if it wasn't for my MB hobby.

After I retired, I got a job working in the same office as my wife. Same working hours, so we carpooled together. Major problem was that the wife stayed an hour and a half later than quitting time(secretary).
Instead of sitting and waiting in the car, I walked home five miles away and took one hour 45 minutes. Nope, not an answer. I bought a cruiser bike and pedalled it to work(10 mph), which took 45 minutes. Nope, too sweaty to bike and work in an office. I electrified the bike(20-24 mph) and the commute took 27 minutes! Yes! However, the batteries weighed 80 pounds. It was bothersome to recharge. Then I got a 20" Dahon and used friction drive w/Subaru engine. Commute time was the same at 27mph tops, which was good. Now I've evolved from that to single 2.2hp(32 mph), twin 2.2hp engines(39 mph), 4.25hp(44 mph) and finally 2.8hp Tanaka 47R engine(43 mph) with shift kit. Commute time is about 25 minutes. However, now I'm riding in traffic instead of crawling on bike paths and sidewalks.

It's a **** of a ride at speeds up to 40 mph now, like a 25-minute amusement ride to and from work!

No DL for a year and needed a legal ride, i'm hooked.

In Ecuador as a non-resident I can't have a drivers license so I saw that one place was selling these Grubee motor bikes for $400 whole or installing the kit in your bike for $250 so I jumped on it. Then I set out to make it have enough power to climb these hilly streets although we're at 8500 feet which robs a lot of power. I finally succeeded and have documented most of what I know now on my site for others to learn by. All in all, it's been one of the most satisfying journeys of my life, learning and applying knowledge of how two strokes work. I knew some already having been into motocross for years but not anything like what I know now.

Was unemployed last summer and was needing something positive for therapy. Have always been a gear head and info junkie plus I have a definite artistic and creative streak that needed some fulfilling so I happened to find motorized bicycles....
I'm definitely new to this...plus I have been wanting a real motorcycle, but the wife is nixing the idea....so the next best thing....create my own!!

I was a po kid so learned how to fix mini bikes, then motorcycles for friends so I could get some seat time. Then I went with harleys and a flock of dirtbikes. Today, at 4 1/2 a gallon, I'd like to be able to take jaunts around town when I wish. I bought a basket case HT something or other from a college kid. Hope to have it modded and running soon.
Is there any way I can identify what this little china engine really is??? Lol
rc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back