Building my first MB

mdono

Local time
12:08 PM
Greetings everyone. I'm Mike from Palm Springs Ca. My son just finished building his first MB on my old 1983 Bridgestone Spica 12 speed using an 80cc/66cc kit from motovelo.us. I liked it so much I ordered an engine and bought a 6 year old mint condition Iron Horse Maverick mountain bike with a solid fork from my coworker for 75 bucks. I sat the engine with the exhaust attached on the frame and it fit perfectly and cleared the pedals by over an inch. I'll be starting the build this weekend and will post photos. I am open to all suggestions and any helpful ideas as I am a total noob. :D

Last edited:
Progress after 5 hours and one trip to the hardware store for good bolts and nuts
nf07de.jpg

And my son's first build on my old large frame 1983 Bridgestone Spica 12 speed
35apy4g.jpg

Very nice!

One small suggestion. On your son's bike, shorten the chain if you can and move the tensioner forward. There is more stress and more chance of rotating into the spokes where it is.

Actually, since it is a multi speed and the tension is adjustable on the pedal side, I would try to remove the tensioner totally. (if there is clearance)

Is your engine still running? Have you had any trouble with it? I'm thinking of getting an engine from motovelo and I was just wondering if it is holding up ok.

Here are my guidelines for building:

1) Predominant riding terrain.
2) Primary riders physique.
3) Lookup and read local legal requirements.
4) Type of bike.
5) Budget.

Stay within these guidelines and you'll have a bike you can enjoy riding. Good luck with your build.

Back