honing cylinder walls and it's new rings

chancecube

Local time
2:57 PM
i have a grove down my cylinder from last piston, if i honed the cylinder ill need over sized rings. i dont see any one who sells them. any ideas

If you are referring to an HT engine, the cylinders are chrome plated and cannot be oversized, which is the reason for the lack of oversized pistons and rings.

You are thinking of a real engine.
A happytime has a sprayed on coating either nickel or on the nicer ones chrome.
No way to bore or even hone one just contact who ever sold you the kit and buy a new cylinder and piston with rings.

first of all, a hone will not remove enough material to warrant oversized rings. you would not be able to put oversized rings on the stock piston anyway.
the only time you would need bigger rings is if you bore the cylinder and go with a bigger piston.
these cylinders can't be honed or bored, and a new cylinder is dirt cheap. I wouldn;t even mess around trying to hone it if it was even possible...I'd just buy a new cylinder, and a new set of rings and be done.

em wow i was unaware. so im assuming honing of some of the nickel or chrome is a bad thing.

Ht top end

I got my back up bike running great with #64 jet & new basegasket to fix airleak. The motor in the other bike is older and it's kinda lost its pop. I looked up putting new rings in, but the replies were to buy a new top end. What's the price difference between a new motor and a top end kit and is it worth the effort changing out the top end??

getting an exact match for the top end you have is difficult (even from same vendor), as these things change slightly all the time while some have gone to entirely different form factors

if it runs acceptably, I'd run it till it no longer runs acceptably, then replace whole engine

Thanks I'm in Calif and I see vendors aren't shipping to Calif due to CARB,so at some time the manufacturers will have to put some kind of smog stuff on. One of the vendors I checked out had catalytic exhaust but I don't know if that's enough to pass CARB. Who's selling 2stroke motors in Calif.?

I buy kits from: http://stores.ebay.com/sashawigs2009/

I don't recall if he sells motors by themselves as I just take a motor out of the kit when I sell it and put the rest of the kit on the parts shelf. Since I mostly just do repairs, that works well for me.

Back