Clutch won't disengage on motorized bicycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom Shocker

Local time
4:08 AM
Hello. Can anyone help me out here? Okay this is my problem...
I ran this motor I'm using on another bike last summer and it ran perfect when I parked it. I put 40 miles total

on it since new. Over the winter I decided to mount it on an OCC Schwinn Stingray. Now my motor sprocket is

lined up with the rear sprocket so there is no issue there. But for some unknown reason my motor is

engaged (in gear) and will not dis-engage. Now the clutch arm moves, and the push pin is not dented or bent

and spinning the "flower nut" is not an issue either. It spins freely. My cable is not stretched, everything

seems very functional but the clutch will not dis-engage and free-wheel for some reason.... It just stays in

gear. My only last thought is does the drive chain need to be at a certain angle or position? I have plenty of

pictures if anyone needs to see the chain position or anything else. Thanks in advance!!!

So, your clutch plate will not lift off of the pads - sounds like you still need to work on the flower nut! Check the spring below the plate and make sure it's not jammed and that it is pushing the plate off the pads.

Honestly, I don't believe you when you say "it spins freely". If your clutch plate spun freely it would be disengaged.

4 step clutch adjustment:

1. Put the clutch lever in the locked position.

2. Adjust the clutch cable to get the clutch's camshaft to be perfectly flat against the pin.

3. Adjust the flower nut until your bike rolls freely.

4. Fire up the bike and lift the back wheel off the ground and lock the clutch. Your back wheel will not move if it is adjusted properly.

Last edited:
Clutch won't disengage...

Thank you for your reply!!!
The "flower nut" turns by hand, not the clutch plates themselves, they remain engaged. But it only spins to loosen it because the "stopper screw is in the way. It's stuck on and if I have to remove it, it will strip and I'll have to tap it out. Do you think the spring is too compressed from sitting all winter engaged? It was stored indoors, so weather isn't a factor. When I go to disengage the clutch, I can see the flower nut move out away for the plate and it's under good pressure still but it doesn't stick out far enough to pass the screw.

Adjust the flower nut to get the stopper screw between the notches. Use pliers or vice grips to loosen the screw if it's still really stuck, this will remove it while keeping it from stripping.

Well I got the set screw off, tried adjusting the flower screw either way and the motor is still locked in gear. So I removed the outer clutch plate and it was stuck in place as well. I was able to separate the two clutch plates and it's still in gear. When I spin the rear wheel, the motor turns like it's still in gear. Man I'm sorry to be such a pest but i'm banging my head off of the wall here. Thank you very much for the help! I'm thinking it might need a new clutch set up. It's the only logical explanation I can come up with next unless you know a trick.
Thanks again!!!

Not being a pest by any means - sounds like you've got a genuine problem!

I haven't overhauled the bottom end on these things, but I'll see what I can come up with.

It sounds like it would be your clutch return spring, which is located inside the bottom end, which means you'd have to split the case. A common thing, but something that I haven't dealt with, is a sheared woodruff key. I've heard fairly commonly that they can shear and get jammed up in a gear, either causing stuff to get stuck in one position or even seizing the entire thing.

This link is great - it's a 3d modeled exploded view of the full clutch.
http://motorbicycling.com/f30/animated-view-motorized-bicycle-clutch-assembly-8939.html

When you got your motor, it would have came with sprocket removal tool, which you use to remove the flywheel inside the crankcase. That's where you'd be able to check the woodruff key, which would be easier than splitting the case, so I'd start there.

Though - please, anyone who's rebuilt a clutch, chime in! I don't want to give nonadvice due to lack of experience in a full teardown.

flower nut stuck

Hey my clutch wont disengage and my flower nut is stuck. i have tried hitting around it with a rubber mallet but it seems the pucks are still stuck.
does anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back