Clutch won't disengage on motorized bicycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
ride it :)

itll loosen up after ten seconds, which was the case with the OP as well. they get stuck together when left for too long.

youll only get the flower nut to turn when you pull the clutch lever, taking the spring tension off of it ;)

Got a problem

So when i took the motor off my bike to try and fix my clutch since it wouldnt disengage i found out i needed to adjust the clutch plates and such. So i did that but now the little pin that is compressed to release the clutch is sticking out really far. I have no clue why its sticking out and id like to know if its an issue with me working on the clutch plates. Any ideas?

which pin?

the 8mm (5/16) one on the left hand side, under the small cover with 3 screws? should stick out about 8mm or so... pop it out, there should be a ball behind it...make sure it doesnt get lost! then whack some grease down the hole, reinsert... so yes, when the clutch is together, it SHOULD stick out.

or the threaded stud on the actual clutch side, which takes that funny nut? it will stick out a fair bit if either of two things are happening... 1. the clutch pads are worn out, and youve reached the end of adjustment. 2. you adjusted the clutch, but forgot about the cable or the lever that actuates the clutch, and its pushing it, as if youre squeezing the lever...but arent!

erm...hate doing it but this calls for it!

:bowdown:

the one one the left its sticking out TOO far and wont allow me to put the plate back on so any ideas?

thats sort of normal...spring tension, you see... as long as the gap between cover and case is about 5mm, alls good.

just tighten screws gradually, going round em a few times, rather than doing one at a time, until tight. (gap will close up)

or loosen off the flower nut on the other side which is pretty hard to do unless you already have the left hand cover on, to let some pressure off of it... ie, you need to be able to disengage the clutch to remove the nut(easily).

Thanks i got it fixed now all i have to adjust the clutch and buy the screw that keeps the flower nut from unscrewing. Know where i can get one? Also how can i clean the magnet. Its "alittle" rusty

Last edited:
I got the same problem but just the opposite. When my clutch is disengaged my wheel rolls freely and I don't have must compression to start the motor when I pedal the bike and release the clutch it still sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't is there some sort of Woodruff key or anything like that that would cause this problem and if so since my bike rolls freely should clutch completely released hands off clutch should all sprockets spin chain sprocket, clutch sprocket, small bevel Drive spot? Help would be appreciated

Hi I had a similar problem except for the opposite rear wheel rolls freely when clutch is disengaged meaning hand off clutch and I don't have enough compression to start the bike is there any help or should all three sprockets chain sprocket, clutch rocket, small bevel Drive smoke it, all row at the same time while hands off clutch?

Hello please! So I just installed my motor on my bike (brand new). And my Rear wheel won’t spin but when I take off my counter shatter cover it spins. And I’ve already tried to do a clutch adjustment

Please send a photo with the cover off.

What can cause what you described is a loose screw jamming on the cover.

There are 3 screws. The drive gear screw, the knob control screw and the knob.

I would suggest to reset your clutch, loosen the knob as much as possible, loosen the cable. The knob and plate should be loose. Tighten the knob tight until it sticks, then tighten the clutch cable to be as tight as is proper (zer0.degree alignment on the clutch arm bar). Then adjust the knob one increment setting at a time until the clutch is operating correctly.

If there is scrapemarks in the cover something is definitely loose and jamming up. Otherwise a reset will probably do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back