Driven Sprocket : Disc Brake Rotor Mount

DuctTapedGoat

Local time
1:57 PM
My wheel has died, but no time to be too sad about it. Upward and onward to the next best thing!

I have a stock sprocket from a few years back, it's got zero dishing and holes for mounting to disc brake rotor mount locations. I just got done throwing a solid axle in it, repacking grease, and bolting on the driven sprocket. It's past midnight and I don't have a garage, so I can't throw it on tonight, so tomorrow it'll be finished. All I've got to do is swap over my tire and put on a longer 415 chain/add to the existing 415 chain.

When I pull the old wheel, I'll take some pics of it and explain what happened and put them in the other thread (dual drive hub). As well of course, I'll put pics of this wheel on the bike and show the fit.

From the inside of the wheel.
picture.php

From the outside of the wheel.
picture.php

Just my luck. My chainbreaker won't break this 415 chain!

It's ready to go though once I'm able to break it and add a few links for the increase in sprocket size. I had to add a few washers to the driven sprocket side to get it to clear the frame, but so far it's looking like it's going to align just fine!

picture.php

picture.php

Alignment was tricky - it's about 3/4" to 1" from the spokes, so I had to pull the tensioner back pretty far to get it lined up to go onto the driven sprocket. After it's all said and done though, I'm happy with the results, it feels REALLY solid, it's perfectly centered, and I'm hope it lasts a long time.

Too late to edit the last post, but went on a mile ride to get a feel for it before the weekend hits and I do a 60 mile ride. The alignment is fine in "standard operation", in other words, when I'm going forward and accelerating, it's peachy keen. I had to use the tensioner to bring the chain a bit to the outside for when it comes onto the sprocket, and it's a bit off on top coming off, but it doesn't seem to be an issue when going forwards. When going backwards though, it ever so slightly clicks on the teeth. I could grind the teeth, but I'd rather leave it alone, and just be cautious when I'm backing up.

neat idea I did the same thing

I tried the same thing on my bike but I had problems with the alinement so I modified the hub so my cog would line up correctly. I found out about a company called KIngs Motor and they make an adapter that works with a six bolt hub.

I am currently using a 36 tooth cog that I got from kings and I rebuilt the wheel with a new hub. One thing I did was to blue lock tight the mounting bolts because they came loose after about ten miles. With a 36 cog and a tuned pipe this bike really moves!:D

mike

Back