BMP saved

BMP- Your fellow Mb ers need YOUR kit!!!
one thing is for sure, when and IF they get goin again they'll probably be OOS shortly after. i just hope its the same quality I keep hearing about, I just hope I get one before it snows here!!!

BMP?

You state opening in...
- April
- Late June
- In the near future...

Tick tock.....

Its now August 4, 2011...?

Well, it was nice knowing the original owner James. He was a good guy.

(Dont even know u, the "new owner")

Oh well.

How do we go about changing the thread to "BMP WEBSITE Saved"?

September 9th, 2011

"BMP IS IN THE PROCESS OF ACQUIRING NEW INVENTORY.
KITS AND PARTS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE NEAR FUTURE."

My guess at this point is that there is NO NEW OWNER and that was listed on the site to satisfy anyone while he searched for a buyer of the site???

Would anyone agree?

September 9th, 2011

"BMP IS IN THE PROCESS OF ACQUIRING NEW INVENTORY.
KITS AND PARTS WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE NEAR FUTURE."

My guess at this point is that there is NO NEW OWNER and that was listed on the site to satisfy anyone while he searched for a buyer of the site???

Would anyone agree?

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with you.

I thought James was a standup guy. I don't know whats going on or not going on.

The thing is, I just did a domain search, and he is still the owner. (Unless there is something that I am ignorant about.)

Here is the link FYI, and for all concerned:

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/bikemotorparts.com

Attention James BMP:

If you read this, I'd like to chat up with you on ME buying your business.

Thank you.

Here's a thought, why buy anything, just do it.
I remember when bmp started........actually before he started......he had a couple of free youtube vids up on how to DIY a friction drive with parts sources, materials, etc. He took those vids down when he went into business.
There are no patents or copyrights on this stuff. He was just using the Staton design as a model himself, so I don't see any issues. For that matter it could be made better IMO, lighter and sleeker design and no sacrificing quality. Just be ready to compete with Staton for quality and Dax and Boygofast on price in what is basically a niche market.

Last edited:
Here's a thought, why buy anything, just do it.
I remember when bmp started........actually before he started......he had a couple of free youtube vids up on how to DIY a friction drive with parts sources, materials, etc. He took those vids down when he went into business.
There are no patents or copyrights on this stuff. He was just using the Staton design as a model himself, so I don't see any issues. For that matter it could be made better IMO, lighter and sleeker design and no sacrificing quality. Just be ready to compete with Staton for quality and Dax and Boygofast on price in what is basically a niche market.

I dont know the difference between a nut and a bolt. :)

Buying the business would give me a huuuge jump start, as well as have a very favorable learning curve.

Designed, sourced, overall good name...

:)

I dont know the difference between a nut and a bolt. :)

Hmmmm your reply brings a few things to mind......
I'm sure you're just exaggerating because I don't think not knowing a nut from a bolt would be the best reference point to own a mechanized product business.

Buying the business would give me a huuuge jump start, as well as have a very favorable learning curve.
Designed, sourced, overall good name..
Designed
I have a friend who is a successful product designer with some major credits in his portfolio for several large companies. One day at my place I showed him my bikes and he thought they were cool but asked why the friction drive components were so bulky and unrefined? In about 5 minutes he pointed to a half dozen things that could be done cost effectively in production without sacrificing quality.

I think the answer is they were never really designed, they were built around 4" square aluminum channel, Bmp later went to bent steel but I still have an original Bmp in aluminum. I have respect for Dave Staton building things well but he designs things like an Oklahoma farmer. His friction drives and gearboxes look like they belong on a tractor.

Sourced.
Bmp was in NY with manufacturing farmed locally out up there. How convenient would that be to you?

overall good name.
I understand you're obviously a fan and devoted but that might not always be the case, just something to consider and bear in mind.

When Bmp first went in business, kits were $199. Then in a flurry of competition, initially I believe with Staton, he went to $159 followed quickly by $149. When Dax came along and went low ball, Bmp whacked prices to $119 then $109 and then just before he closed shop he went to $99! Madness. He put himself out of business, couldn't make any money at that price point and he probably helped Dax more than hurt.

Staton in the meantime just goes about his business, independent as ever. BGF, well who really knows but thing clear is all of them, Staton, Dax and BGF have many other product lines to sell, Bmp just had the one and when he cuts prices he ended up with none......none at least as a profit center.

Here's the point: I'm not sure if I bought a kit for $199 or $159 then saw them drop to $99 a year later it would qualify as such a good name. From reading comments here also, I think some feel left dangling, and what about warranty coverage if no one can get a hold of them?

In the meantime, if you take the last price Bmp was selling at and add throttle and kill switch, Staton FD kits are only a few dollars more and Dax a few dollars less.

Just my rambling, not meaning to rain on anyone's parade but this is all out there anyway and the subject keeps being hashed over. I guess in the end, for such a small market, it would have to be a labor of love anyway....or something.

Back