New trike with friction front drive

Updated: 05-16-2012

Received the kit in a thin box. They forgot the battery charger. But that is not the only issue at hand. The older Columbia trike also has front original forks that are "TOO" narrow for the front hub wheel to fit. This means the forks will have to be replaced first. Worse is that after almost 3 weeks of waiting they didn't ship me the battery charger as it appears at this point unless I am missing something. I had hoped it would go as easy as they advertised on the site at http://www.electricbicycle-outdoor-store.com , but that is not the case unfortunately. What Jim Welsh should have done was mention that it takes almost 3 weeks to get what you ordered online instantly. Amazon ships most stuff like this within a couple of days and so do most other sites as well. In addition if the charger as it appears is missing, that is even worse having to wait for that now. So, my first bit tomorrow will be to try and locate the forks I need. Jim should have made it clear on the site that a certain width forks may be required for his hub wheel to fit on. In a sense I will probably get forks with front suspension on them since I already have this. As soon as I get it going, I'll start a fresh thread on the project of converting a columbia using a hilltopper front hub kit.

Again, while I could have splurged on the trike, I had decided on the 250watt motor because speed was not a factor. Jim Welsh mentioned I can just plug in a lithium battery later so that is nice to know as it seems this is much more flexible then the curry ezip system. I may if I like this consider a high wattage front hub for the ezip and change it to that and a lithium maybe a 750 watt hub as they are out there too, but then again that is also a different setup to consider.

I am now officially making my project thread here to follow through with the project pics and updates as I get em.

Back