New trike with friction front drive

I have been looking to see if a prebuilt kit is available for the Columbia Trike I have in the garage. Not a big engine mind you, a smaller one. If anyone knows if a kit for that is available and it's reasonable I'd go for it.

Trikes

No real kit that I know of. But it can be set up. There are a few trike rear ends that you can buy that are not too hard to convert. Since you already have the trike set up, just use a collar on the axle to attatch a sprocket to and yer halfway there. I'll try to give you a pic of how I did it. You could even use a go ped engine and rear mount it. It's gonna be YOUR bike so build it YOUR way bro.
Big Red.

Attachments

• SUNP0036.jpg
    SUNP0036.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 663
Trike

Ten mile limit at 15mph? Wouldn't you be through riding in about 45 or 50 minutes? If ya really wanna go somewhere it better be close, like to the store and back for a six-pack.
I think you were on the right track with the front friction drive idea. You could pretty much hook up a weed whacker motor that way, and you would at least extend your range.
I never have been a big fan of electric bikes. once yer out of power yer sitting around for at least a couple hours waiting for the thing to charge. A gas bike, 2 or 4 stroke, you just dump in more gas and go. But there are a lot of people that swear by elec. bikes. I'm just not one of them.
All that said, it's up to you and you only bro. It's gonna be your bike so build it your way.
Big Red.

Well I checked and the hub issues. Like nothing out there as a premade hub and gear and setup for a gasser on the trike. BTW, if you are willing, they do make a wheel hub that is an 800W and takes a large Lithium Ion which recharges they claim about two to three hours, has a 40 mile range from what I read. Just seems that to the local park and back this would be okay, about a 6 to 8 mile ride, some peddling too ;) The install time is about 4 minutes and that's it. Charge and then ready to go. Prices do vary though and the cost for the green is a lot more green. But still the easy install time and battery options can yield for local riding a nice tradeoff. My preference is a gasser probably 4 stroker small maybe 24 cc for a trike as it gets very unstable above 10 mph. If an existing easy to install hub kit and mount were available I would consider a rear engine with tank.

Ordered a Hilltopper 250 watt kit for trike. Decided because the 500 watt was overkill since trike have to travel slow for corners anyhow. Upon reading the hilltopper hub 250 watt was a brushless, I decided on the slower and closer to home option. Should install quickly once I get it. I'll make a youtube for you all to see it. By the way, powered trikes I priced out averaged between 1200 bucks to about 2500 bucks depending on styles and options, so this made sense. Since my riding habits are no more than about ten miles a day at most because of my handicap limitations especially walking and pedaling, this seemed best. I'll let you all know how it works out. BTW, I have considered getting a vintage stingray and adding a 500 watt kit to it. ;) the little kid in me still :p

UPDATE: Ordered the hilltopper and still ain't shipped several days later. I'll edit if it's okay this post reply to update as the adventure continues. Also I'll post pics or to youtube vids when the part arrives. The main patient is an older blue "Made In America" Columbia trike with 3 speed and basket. As mentioned, since it's a trike and also because it's mainly for short riding this lower cost electric option made the best sense. I am also considering maybe getting a sting ray with 20" wheels and electrifying that. Again depending on how Hilltopper treats as a customer. Since there are a number of manufacturers now making the front wheel hubs I can always go elsewhere ;)

Updated: 05-10-2012

I originally purchased the kit at the end of April. It is now 10 days into May and nothing but excuses and a non functional UPS number. The website I ordered from was this guy here Jim Welsh at http://www.electricbicycle-outdoor-store.com been getting all kinds of excuses but nothing yet. Told him I'll give him another week before enacting my refund. I probably should have gone through Amazon.com as I know it would have shipped asap and with few hassles or refund worries. If it does arrive then I'll assemble it and post some vids as well, which I was hoping to do as of last week.

Back