jet66/80 older model

david w.

Local time
3:50 AM
I purchased a used one on a huffy frame.I rode it about 40 miles before it started chugging, backfiring, and losing power. So far I have cleaned the plug,reset the gap, adjusted the carb, messed with the choke, cleaned the muffler,changed the fuel,along with adjusting the ratio. Any help would be great. david w.

used jet trying to start it

hi new to this. just got a used jet and trying to get it to run

the problem that I kept having (and still occasionally have) is that the fuel tank and cap are not venting properly. Since the fuel system is dependent on good ol' gravity, too much air pressure in the tank will starve the engine of fuel... causing loss of power, chugging... and mine even sounded like it was back-firing.

After changing the plug and wire, cleaning and checking the carb, and testing the magneto (all with no improvements) I FINALLY realized it was that it was a venting problem. A good way to test is-- while riding, if you are losing power, loosen the cap. If you regain power, your cap isn't vented well enough.

I need to improve the venting "system" in the cap-- I think fuel is getting trapped in the cap, preventing it from venting as well as it should.

Here is a Solution Red.

actually the solution that I implemented was based on that thread... BUT despite that, I think fuel is sloshing up and getting trapped within the plastic part of the cap, blocking the vent hole I drilled. I am going to drill a couple extra holes in the plastic part of the cap so that the trapped fuel drains out.

the vent cover on my cap is built from JB Weld putty

picture.php

the slight blockage doesn't keep the bike from running, but it does cause sluggish spurts. If I shake the bike, I can clearly hear air escaping through the cap-- which is why I assume that the vent is experiencing occasional blockage

Back