cant decide between 44 and 50 sprocket

dang, that's a lot of cargo for a HT motor! Do you have a guess on how much all that weighs?

Oh, and I don't know enough about sprockets to have an answer for your question-- I just run the stock sprocket.

"Do I want to get to where I'm going hauling stuff faster?"
"Do I want to insure I don't lug out over hills and also be kinder to my rear rim?"

This is what your deciding factor should be when looking for a solution to asking yourself these questions.

The more teeth in the sprocket, you will have a greater torque for climbing hills, immediate acceleration - especially when hauling cargo, but a slower top speed when on the flat straightaway.

The fewer teeth in the sprocket, you will have less torque when climbing hills, a slower take off, but faster top speed, and lastly (depending on the rear wheel setup you have for your drive chain), with fewer teeth you will stress the spokes whenever great torque is applied. Oh - and your chain will be stressed much more as well.

If you're very intent on making many trips hauling a medium to large amount of cargo, and/or if your general bike path where you ride is laden with many hills, I would go with the greater amount of teeth.

Remember - a 66cc motor puts torque on two main parts of your bike! Your drive chain and your spokes (dependent on the wheel build style) are going to receive a LARGE amount of force, and they will only get weaker as time goes on. If it's a habit to be hauling large loads of cargo, I would definitely go with more teeth, and consider other wheel build options, and lastly, look for the baddest chain you can get your hands on.

It is more difficult to tell after seeing your pictures what your wheel build is, chance you can throw a rear sprocket pic up or just tell us what your build style is?

Last edited:
Back