Kill Switch Wiring

pucksterpete

Local time
11:05 AM
I have read a lot of post about which wires to hook your kill switch to. Some say connect it like your manual says to:

CDI Blue to Engine Blue
CDI Black to Engine Black
Kill switch Yellow/red to Engine White
Kill Switch Green to Ground

Some people say this:

Don't connect the kill button to the white wire! (It can sometimes short out the mag coil!)
Connect the kill wires to the blacks & blues, & cap off the white wire!!

I am not sure what is the correct way. I want to use a kill switch, but I don't want to damage either the cdi or mag. Can anyone shed some light on these 2 ways or other ways of hooking up a kill switch? Thanks for the help & suggestions

Pete

THE SECOND WAY!

keep that white wire out of the equation. just wire one wire of the switch to blue, the other to the black...

else youll be back in a few weeks searching for answers on where your spark has gone...

both work,.. i have always used white wire for kill switch I think if properly done this is correct way if done incorrectly (poor connections,. lack of insulation,..) either method will cause problems.

(at the moment, i despise ppl saying " i think"... too many stuff ups at work cus someone keeps "thinking" i now demand an "i know")

if you decide to pull your magneto coil apart( possibly after its fried), you will find that the white wire is a seperate winding to the blue wire, with a common earth point.

shorting out the white wire to earth causes a huge current drain(oh wow, maybe an amp or two, :LOL: ) through this earth connection. the current is carried by a VERY fine wire. it burns out. hello dead magneto.

im not saying using the white wire doesnt work. i am saying that in the long run, its a good idea not too. it took mine about 6 weeks...

I have it hooked up the first way. I have had it like that for a year and have had no issues what so ever. As long as the connections are strong and everything is wired right, it will work as it should. It's just taking the power from the mag and grounding it through the bike frame. (I have the green wire grounded to one of the bolts on the frame for a water bottle holder.)

Vistaman73

Why does everyone make it so hard on others. Thousands upon thousands of magnetos are grounded this way to kill a engine. Just disregard the white wire..heck I wish they NEVER installed the white wire for those that don't have the knowledge.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question375.htm

The kill switch wires hooks up to the positive lead either on the coil (blue wire), or on the CDI. The second kill switch wire either hooks up to ground on the bike/engine, or the CDI black wire wire which is grounded on the coil (black wire). In the ole days we had a metal tab that we would lean aganist the spark plug tip to kill the engine.

Before I'd tie a piece of string to the plug wire and make it look like a 10 year old did the work, I'd run a wire from the kill switch to the spark tip, wrap and hold in place with plug boot. The other kill switch wire goes to ground. If that won't kill the engine you have a defective kill switch.

Last edited:
I was just kidding about the string. I did follow your advice about not using the white wire and splicing into the blue and black. She is working fine, whether she just has started and is cold or running for a while. She shuts off now. I don't think I had a good ground before with the white wire. Thanks

Pete

I was just kidding about the string. I did follow your advice about not using the white wire and splicing into the blue and black. She is working fine, whether she just has started and is cold or running for a while. She shuts off now. I don't think I had a good ground before with the white wire. Thanks

Pete

The blue comes off of one coil of wire on the coil, and the white from a different coil of wire. One coil of wire might be 200 wraps (heavy gauge), the other 20,000 wraps (very thin gauge).
And your roller was mailed before the holiday. Let me know when you get it. Want to keep track of how many days it takes.

Last edited:
Back