Unique gearbox for weedeaters.

I've ordered a motor,
https://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224161
It will produce over 3 KW with the right batteries! It seems too cheap at $98 delivered. We'll see.
I've heard about a csiro pancake motor, from the solar challenge cars. Radial flux, 3 phase AC, 98% efficiency etc. The holy grail of motors!
This one has been converted for a bike but the owner hasn't used it due to reduction issues. My gearbox could run it though. I dearly want it.
I'd convert a downhill racer and make the bike of my dreams.

wheel-side.jpg

Last edited:
I've ordered a motor,
https://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224161
It will produce over 3 KW with the right batteries! It seems too cheap at $98 delivered. We'll see.
I've heard about a csiro pancake motor, from the solar challenge cars. Radial flux, 3 phase AC, 98% efficiency etc. The holy grail of motors!
This one has been converted for a bike but the owner hasn't used it due to reduction issues. My gearbox could run it though. I dearly want it.
I'd convert a downhill racer and make the bike of my dreams.

View attachment 47747

What esc will you use?

Still not sure... Because I have a clutch I think I can run a sensorless motor. I don't want Halls sensors, to complicated.
Edit: It looks like I'm going to have to run Halls sensors after all... I've been speaking to Edward Lyen about it, he's going to make me a 12 fet controller. I'll probably get a Cycle analyst console and a throttle from him too.
There's a lot of stuff to learn about electric motors but it's starting to jerry now. The motor I got is a 63mm can with 180kv [the number of revs per volt without load]. They also come in an 80mm with 130kv, I might get one of them as well. The big one delivers 6 KW+, which would probably twist the frame of this bike at full power but might be ok in a future project.
http://skyhobby.en.alibaba.com/prod...N_C80100_KV130_outrunner_brushless_motor.html

If you were referring to the Axial flux motor I would have to do some more research, I think you can run them with rc controllers.
I haven't heard back from the owner unfortunately. I don't want to hassle him about it but I really would like to build the dream bike.
This one will be good practice in the meantime.

Last edited:
Things are looking good for the electric conversion. I've ordered everything I need so it should be all together by next month, as planned.
If anyone is considering an electric bike build, I would encourage you to talk to Edward Lyen regarding controllers. He is extremely easy to do business with and a pleasant person to boot. His controllers are considered "de rigueur" amongst the spheres. I'll start a thread in the appropriate place when I get cracking on the project.
This thread is about the gearbox, I'll update the pictures and post some video links of it as soon as it's rolling.

The reason it's still not rolling is that I'm still trying to locate a gear for the new engine plate. This will enable me to change motors in a few minutes. I could have cannibalized the one I've got to get it running, but I think it's worth doing properly.
Everything else is done, it won't be long.

I put it back together again to show anyone who's interested.
I've decided to show the mechanism so anyone can build one. It's a good design, it works really well. I don't have any plans but I'll explain how it works and post some pictures of the components I made.
I would have loved to have finished it but I ran out of funds. If I was able, I would build another gearbox half the size of the one I used. I would make it electric from the start [I have all the electric gear still], and I would use a GT Fury Alloy as the cycle. The pedal hanging mechanism on this bike would make it very easy.
Basically, it's a worm drive reduction box with a primary reduction mounting point. The shaft of the worm box is where the action happens. I mounted the gear on a one way bearing so it can spin freely while you pedal. This is sitting on a hollow shaft with the pedal crank running through the center. Another locking bearing enables you to free wheel when the motor is running.
That's a brief description, if people are interested I'll strip it down again and show more detail.
20140412_144612.jpg
20140412_144623.jpg
20140413_163852 (3).jpg

I really like the "look" of the the GT Fury Alloy and absolutely love the pedal hanger mechanism; that's one impressive looking design, which lends itself perfectly to a pancake style electric motor, or even a compact I.C.E. engine.

Looks great! I am sure it is more efficient than a chain drive system. I'd be interested in more details if you have the time.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing with the community.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Back