Unique gearbox for weedeaters.

Dont worry about the tonaro guy, his is just some meagre electric motor. I'd still get one that could hold a GX35

A Honda GX35 mated to a Tonaro gearbox? That would be interesting...hmmm

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

You'd make mush of it I'd say.

Also Garp was your GX35 new when you got it? How many hours did it run before it got tired, was it used gently or ran at WOT all the time? Oil changed with 10W-30 at the specified interval?

I bought a new gx31 when I started this. it's still going but it's become quite rattly. It ran flat out most of the time, I changed oil frequently. [whatever good motor oil I had, never 10/30]
I am very pleased with it, it's done hundreds of hours by now.
I spoke to Honda when I had hopes for a small production run, initially I was offered dealer rates for the motors but they changed their minds. They didn't want the risk.
I then looked at the little Robin [Subaru] motors. I bought one in a brushcutter, it's great. So great that it didn't make it to the bike. I think it's a better motor, sorry Honda.
They are ideal petrol motors for what we want, if a little noisy. I did try an extra piece of exhaust with a little baffle, it helped but they work so hard...

Last edited:
You'd make mush of it I'd say.

Maybe, but if you look at the torque charts for the Tonaro motor and the Honda GX35. The Honda produces 2 N. m of torque and the Tonaro produces 20 N.m of tourque. The Aseako produces 109 N.m of torque. The Igo produces 120 N.m of torque. In addition, the Tonaro will probably produce its peak torque quicker than the Honda.

I think if you were easy on take off and not gunned the engine, the Honda would be OK.

HondaTorque.jpg
TonaroTorque.jpg

Chris

I have an opportunity to buy a used Tanaro motor and gearbox for a $100.00. From what I've read on a forum, the gear on the end of the electric motor is held on with a roller pin. I'd have to make an adapter to mate the engine to the gearbox and house a bearing. Housing would also be thick enough so the engine would clear the front chainrings. I'd make a shaft for the clutch drum and then figure out how to attach the gear to the clutch drum shaft.

I would definitely have to modify a regular bicycle to mount the engine and gearbox. Cutting out the bottom bracket and making a L-shaped bracket to connect the chainstays, seat tube and down tube would probably work. Also gearbox could easily be rotated downward and mounted to be parallel to the ground. This would allow the engine to clear the down tube. Here's a close up picture of a modification to the stock gearbox. Someone on www.pedelecforum.de attached a different motor:

TonaroGearbox.jpg

Definitely not a project for now, but far away in the future since I've have 3 motorized bicycle builds going now and enjoy touring my Surely Long Haul Trucker which keeps me away from completing my projects - quality problems!!!

Chris

That's a good looking little unit. Mine ended up a lot heavier built than that but if I got a chance I could make it a bit lighter for this application.
Mind you, it's been reliable considering the amount of abuse I've put it through. It's still like new inside. The electric motor will put out a lot more power than the Honda but I don't think I'll have any problems, fingers crossed...

Last edited:
Back