Unique gearbox for weedeaters.

Interesting links, thank you. My design is different to that, although they seem similar. It would be good to see which was the more efficient.
I will put a new post up soon.
Thanks for commenting.

The World According to Garp - What does soon mean? How much do you want to make one for someone else? Common Man, The World may End Tomorrow...

Yeah, I was really hoping that something would be posted. It looked like a very promising design.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
I must apologize for my failure to post anything. I'm saving money for an electric conversion. The Honda motor is on it's last legs so I've stripped the bike down. Hopefully I'll raise the cash soon...
Unfortunately, I took so long that someone else has beat me to it by the looks.

http://tonaro.com.au/

Looks like a nice unit.
I'll still finish mine though.
Thanks for your interest.

The World According to Garp - What does soon mean? How much do you want to make one for someone else? Common Man, The World may End Tomorrow...

Well, we're still here... Yes, I would like to make them. I get some free time in March, I'll be able to concentrate on it for a while.
Thank you for your encouragement.

The interest in this project has reinvigorated me, I've decided what I'm going to do.
I came across a superb brushless motor used in rc helicopters, the high revs suit my transmission. I'll get an adapter plate machined for it that will enable me to change it back to a petrol motor if I want, it would only take a few minutes. Just 4 hex heads. Swap the battery for the fuel tank and away... I'll have to work out a throttle mechanism for the controller that works off the standard cable.
Here is a similar motor in a go kart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y526doY1Q9Q
Anyway, that's the plan. So, now I'll research controllers, batteries, displays etc.

Since it doesn't look like you have the patent, how about sketching us out a diagram so we can have a go on building our own?I'm very interested in the design.

You're right, I don't have a patent. They're not worth the paper they're written on if you can't afford to defend them.
Developing stuff like this costs a lot of money, even if you do it on the cheap like I have. I had an "angel" at first during the initial proof of concept. His contribution amounted to roughly $16000. I would feel bad if I were to just give it away. On the other hand, I want to share it...
Let me just finish it as planned. I'll show you what I've got and we'll take it from there.

Just an update for anyone who's interested...
I'm going ahead with the electric conversion. I've raised a little money for the parts I need, motor, controller, batteries etc. I've posted it on endless sphere to try to get some advice on various aspects that I'm unsure of. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=47414
The gearbox will not change, just the adapter plate is different.
I'm excited now. The only thing I didn't like about it was the noise, it will be stealthy now. I'll need something to alert the wallabies in the bush, you wouldn't want to come round a bend and hit one! Maybe an ultrasonic horn.
Having now seen inside the gearbox of the bike I mentioned in #34, I was wrong. Mine is quite different.

Last edited:
Back