Burley Recumbant and Tanaka 33.

H

Hive

Past rig for information, viewing and add to forum.

Attachments

• 667_Burley_5_1.jpg
    667_Burley_5_1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,498
  • 667_Burley2_1.jpg
    667_Burley2_1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 891
Burley Bent

Thanks.

I struggled to get it going from a stop and needed a place to put feet, as they tended to tire on pedals when motoring.

And around here, one needs to see well, very well, so the bent was too low.

The crank forward (CF) machine I bought later offers the best of both worlds.

Recumbent Burley

Thank-you. It was not that bad. Nice bike, but had to go to the CF Raleigh, recumbent was too low and I really never liked how tippy it was to begin peddling, especially on inclines. CF is great improvement. May put it all on a Rans Dynamik I picked up and shock forked.

Attachments

• P1010636.JPG
    P1010636.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 738
  • Gruv2FinAAA.jpg
    Gruv2FinAAA.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 777
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice bikes, Hive !
I like them a lot.

Among other projects, I'm collecting parts for a bent bike, and I also consider the CF configuration generally superior. The only problem I foresee is front end washout in a turn if there is any sort of sand or gravel on the roadway.
We once had a Honda Hobbit moped that I just HAD to get rid of because everyone who rode it went down, even at low-speed, the front end washed out in turns. Weight balance was very poor. Perhaps I could have improved it with a handlebar change???

Sole support of the bike and rider with the smooth lines of that bent really makes me suspect the chainstays will be the weak point in that design. They are probably engineered very well, but gosh! do they make me nervous! LoL

Best
rc

Do you see any geometry change that could make those bent bikes any less 'tippy' from a start? It seems to be a common complaint...

Recumbent Geometry

Thanks. It was excellent machine.

Once I got it going, it was okay, but I can see with the weight spread over a long wheelbase, one could have some problems on sandy pavement.

Aside from get it going, my problem was other drivers in this community, with many from rural towns coming to shop etc. They just don't seem to see low riders and moving along parked cars is major danger.

The CF is a great compromise, low CG, visibility and comfy. All I have now are CFs, the Rans Dynamic and the motorized Raleigh. Love them both. Rans is so light and with the Rock Shocks, very smooth.

The temptation to switch the motor to it is very great.

Back