How to carry extra Gas for long commute? Any Ideas?

I agree 5-7... my slightly more than one half U.S. gallon capacity tank is enough for roughly 8, 16 mile trips to and from work for me, but that's over one east river bridge,
(2.3 miles from ramp to ramp,the down hill side of the bridge is a blast late at night, with speeds of 54+mph! with me dragging the brakes, I still dont trust bicycle brakes 100%, its a hold over from the old days.)
And about 14 miles of stop and go city streets.
(more if i have to dodge the cops)
But i still enjoy draining that tank.
Ride em like ya stole em!
BBB

Extra fuel would only be a consideration if I were to go on a very long run, and really, who wants to run on one of these things for 120+ miles?

Yeah, I also enjoy draining the tank.:giggle:

I remember using the engine's 23 oz tank alone. I did NOT enjoy filling up every other day. On the Mits engines, I had to literally run the bike up a treestump to fill the tank.

Now, I pull into the gas station and fill up like an old mo-ped.

I carry a small bottle of 2 stroke oil thats graduated for the amount of gasoline I buy.
My wife's gonna kill me if I build one more bike... but honey... this ones for you... no really!
All kidding aside it is really nice to NOT HAVE to take the subway in good weather.
BBB

Last edited:
Smaller Jerry can

I did find a company with a 2.5 gallon jerry gas can--too large unless you are towing a trailer and there are two or more along for the ride--that's a LOT of extra gas compared to what a stock tank holds. Still, that's half the size of a 5 gallon jerry can! (I want a 1 gallon version at about $50.)

They do have other tanks, but not so much the "spare" type, but they aren't cheap by a long shot. The company is www.coyote-gear.com, and the 2.5 gallon tank is $99 plus shipping. (OUCH) The metal water bottles are looking real good for extra gas at that price.

They also carry gas tanks, not cheap, but if you can't fabricate your own, it's another option. I've not bought anything from them, and actually found the site on another posting in the forum somewhere. I'll save it to favorites, and if I ever have money to blow on something wild--well, that jerry can will still be waiting, I suppose!

I did find a company with a 2.5 gallon jerry gas can--too large unless you are towing a trailer and there are two or more along for the ride--that's a LOT of extra gas compared to what a stock tank holds. Still, that's half the size of a 5 gallon jerry can! (I want a 1 gallon version at about $50.)

They do have other tanks, but not so much the "spare" type, but they aren't cheap by a long shot. The company is www.coyote-gear.com, and the 2.5 gallon tank is $99 plus shipping. (OUCH) The metal water bottles are looking real good for extra gas at that price.

They also carry gas tanks, not cheap, but if you can't fabricate your own, it's another option. I've not bought anything from them, and actually found the site on another posting in the forum somewhere. I'll save it to favorites, and if I ever have money to blow on something wild--well, that jerry can will still be waiting, I suppose!

Ever considered gas tanks for outboard motors?

I'm glad I don't worry about carrying extra fuel. When I ran twin engines, that was a big concern...until they introduced the four-liter HT tank.:bowdown:

Now with my single engine, this HT tank is all I need. I've been storing 2 oz of oil in my 18 oz. aluminum bottle. I just pour it into the tank while pumping 3 quarts of 87 octane.This seems to be working very well, even without the oil-dispenser fitting.

At least now I don't have to worry about how old the reserve fuel in the bottle is, or if I remembered to refill it. :sick:

I use a Gatorade bottle cause of its thickness of plastic, great fitting lid, is 32 ounces, and hasnt yet started to show signs of deteriation, yet...
i try to always put an ounce of oil in it(i like running 32:1) and toss it in my backpack before i leave in case i need to fill up while i'm out. I also carry a small squeeze bottle with ounces from Harbor Freight with 2 ounces of oil in it at all times just in case.
Since my tank leaks just slightly i usually only buy $1 worth of 91 octane (@ about $3.85g) to fill the bottle 3/4s of the way, shake, drop in the tank then fill up the tank from the pump with whatever gas is left, a quick slosh and i'm ready to roll. makes it easier to pour it in when you dont fill the bottle up all the way i've learned...
I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for a sale on steel or aluminum bottles around. Esp. something in 33 ounces would be perfect to take extra fuel around with me and a funnel in that case too.

Side note: i really want to make a tank out of a mini keg a friend let me have. maybe seat post mount it for as an auxiliary for longer rides...

Heavy duty spare gas bottles

Stainless steel water bottles can be had at any CVS RiteAid or Wallgreens for about $5 to $8 bucks... they even come in colors.
BBB

I use a Gatorade bottle cause of its thickness of plastic, great fitting lid, is 32 ounces, and hasnt yet started to show signs of deteriation, yet...
i try to always put an ounce of oil in it(i like running 32:1) and toss it in my backpack before i leave in case i need to fill up while i'm out. I also carry a small squeeze bottle with ounces from Harbor Freight with 2 ounces of oil in it at all times just in case.
Since my tank leaks just slightly i usually only buy $1 worth of 91 octane (@ about $3.85g) to fill the bottle 3/4s of the way, shake, drop in the tank then fill up the tank from the pump with whatever gas is left, a quick slosh and i'm ready to roll. makes it easier to pour it in when you dont fill the bottle up all the way i've learned...
I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for a sale on steel or aluminum bottles around. Esp. something in 33 ounces would be perfect to take extra fuel around with me and a funnel in that case too.

Side note: i really want to make a tank out of a mini keg a friend let me have. maybe seat post mount it for as an auxiliary for longer rides...

Justin, make sure the aluminum on that mini keg is thick enough, a buddy of mine tried a Heineken mini keg and it cracked... luckily he wasn't injured but the bike burned to the ground.
BBB

Justin, make sure the aluminum on that mini keg is thick enough, a buddy of mine tried a Heineken mini keg and it cracked... luckily he wasn't injured but the bike burned to the ground.
BBB

Crazy! Sorry to hear about his bike and thanks for the heads up. now that i tap on it it doesnt seem to be very thick at all... Found a spot where it says its made of steel, aluminum and plastic and may be recyclable. That project is now on a longer hiatus until i find a thread somewhere about someone having done this effectively.

Quick fill bottle .com all one word.

clips to your belt loop, holds 18 oz. of mixed or regular fuel, refillable, spill proof. awesome product great for lawn maintenance companies for string trimmers edgers, on those long roads

Back