How to carry extra Gas for long commute? Any Ideas?

Oh and also I don't have a saddle bag. I am just using my Northface Backpack. Im going to be carrying the following. I made a little list. IF there is any more things you guys think I should add feel free to contribute!

10mm Wrench
13mm Wrench
14mm Wrench
Socket Wrench
10mm Socket
13mm Socket
14mm Socket
15mm Socket
Cone Wrench Tool
Allen Keys
Spoke Wrench
Flat Head Screw Driver
Phillips Screw Driver
Large Adjustable Wrench
Medium Adjustable Wrench
Patch Kit w/ Tire Levers
Magneto
Brake Cable
#415 Master Link
8 Speed Master Link
5x Sprocket Bolts w/ Nuts

I stick my tools and bike parts in a $1 "green" supermarket bag, then into a hydration backpack that Hawaii Ed gave me. Thanks, Ed.:bowdown:

I second the recommendation for the MSR fuel bottles. I use them myself. The smaller ones fit in a water bottle cage, they WON'T leak or burst if bumped into (unlike a plastic bottle), and they will also keep the fuel good for a longer period of time. They're not real expensive and you'll feel better knowing the gas isn't leaking out all over the place. I thought about using plastic bottles also, and then realized it wasn't worth the risk and invoncenience to save $10.

Warner

I'm about to order MSR fuel bottles. They have sizes of 11oz, 20oz, 22oz, 30 oz, 33oz.

Which ones fit the bike's bottle cage?

I'm about to order MSR fuel bottles. They have sizes of 11oz, 20oz, 22oz, 30 oz, 33oz.

Which ones fit the bike's bottle cage?

well, think of it like this:

a can of pop is 12 oz

a plastic bottle of pop is 20 oz

I would bet that the 20 oz would fit, but I do not know this from experience

I was hoping that someone with MSR bottles would respond with exact measurements.

RedBaronX, you and I aren't sure what the outside diameter of the fuel container is. I'd imagine they're thicker than a 12oz soda can, which means I don't know if it'll fit the bottle cage.

Anyone know the dimensions of the MSR fuel containers?

I have a couple of the 22oz MSR fuel bottles around. They are 2-15/16" diameter, which is just a tiny bit fatter than a normal water bottle. The straight portion of the sides is about 6-1/4" tall before it starts to curve inward.

The above MSR fuel bottle is about 1/16" fatter than a normal water bottle (since its aluminum, it won't compress at all like the plastic water bottles do). Because of the fatness, these bottles will not fit in many bicycle water-bottle holders--but I think it is the one that comes the closest. So you may have to get one of the bottles, and then just be prepared to take it along to the bike shop and try fitting it into the different water bottle cages they sell.

Plastic gas cans are made of polyethylene, so any polyethylene bottle should work. The aluminum water bottles would probably work well too, except for the fact that they're not labeled as intended for fuel. I'd bet that all 50 states of the USA now have laws saying that gas stations cannot let you dispense fuel into a container that isn't marked as intended for fuel, and that's where the advantage of the MSR fuel bottles comes in. The text printed on the bottle actually says it's intended for flammable fuel, so the gas station people can't much argue with you on that issue.

I also posted here a while back that I left some gasoline in one of my MSR bottles for a year or so, and the plastic cap swelled up so much that I could barely unscrew it without breaking it. After I got the cap off I poured the fuel into another gas can and left the bottle & cap open for a couple weeks, and after that, the cap screwed in properly (quite easily) again. So you might want to only use the MSR for keeping fuel in when you're riding, and pour out the fuel into a regular gas can after the ride.

------

Also we note: I ended up not using the MSR bottle, as I switched to carrying another (much larger) gas can.... but I don't think I have EVER seen a water bottle cage that I couldn't lose the water bottle out of, when hitting big bumps. I always got the "extra-tall" water bottles and then used a piece of shoestring to tie around the thin portion of the bottle and through the frame-side of the water bottle cage, to make sure that the full water bottle couldn't fall out.
~

Last edited by a moderator:
Back