How to carry extra Gas for long commute? Any Ideas?

I just got a bigger fuel tank... if these things can get upwards of 120 mpg, I expect to get a week's worth of commuting from my new 1.6 gal tank

Why not an empty quart(oil) bottle or 2? should be safer than dr. pepper. It did hold a petro product. Of course the chemical composition of gas and oil differ. Just a thought. I am no mechanic. You'd have to vent it periodically. (the pepper bottle could take the pressure better but one day the gas should eat through it.)
Why not throw away that old pepper bottle and use a new one(try sunkist for the fruity new shorts; coke for better speed? But check for your wallet when you get off the bike)? If it really lasted 2 years I'd replace it each year or 1-1/2yrs. One day its bound to give.

I second the recommendation for the MSR fuel bottles. I use them myself. The smaller ones fit in a water bottle cage, they WON'T leak or burst if bumped into (unlike a plastic bottle), and they will also keep the fuel good for a longer period of time. They're not real expensive and you'll feel better knowing the gas isn't leaking out all over the place. I thought about using plastic bottles also, and then realized it wasn't worth the risk and invoncenience to save $10.

Warner

How to carry extra gas for long commute

Heck, I have run out of gas with every one of my bikes, and usually not far from home, a block or two. This is because I fail to look in the tank to see what's in there. I don't carry extra fuel but probably should to save myself a walk home. I just carry a couple of ounces of synthetic 2 cycle oil. I'm never very far from a gas station. Actually as far as spills are concerned, our tanks will leak all over the place when the bike is down. At least not one of my tanks has a spill proof cap. These tanks are pretty flimsy at best and might easily rupture in a hard crash. I hope that never happens to any of us. I think I may just carry a small stainless steel pocket flask made for booze.

The local Walgreen's had aluminum beverage bottles (no liner, just aluminum and the gasketed cap) for just 3 for $10. They hold about 24 fluid ounces and fit into a water bottle cage just fine. If I really want to get to traveling I can get one of those dual-cage under the seat numbers. Don't need it quite yet, though.

I use MSR fuel container and it works great. I recently seafoamed one of my cars and the container it came in (aluminum) also is a great fuel storage device.

I run my engines at 32:1 oil ratio but my spare fuel is mixed at 20:1. This way I don't have to worry about topping off the gas tank with oil if I make it to a gas station for extra fuel.

Back