How to carry extra Gas for long commute? Any Ideas?

smith, you da man!:bowdown:

The quality might not be as good as MSR, but hey, MUCH better than a plastic bottle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spare-Fuel-bott...533?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a099923bd

Dimensions for this 18oz. container are 6.3" tall by 2.9" outside diameter.

Ya can't beat the price. I bought two for $11.90 w/free shipping. MSR bottles would've cost me $35.90/pair with free shipping. You can "BUY IT NOW" for $5.95 or make an offer. Three other buyers were lurking about this deal. Any of them could've bought all 10 available, so I just paid the asking price and closed the deal.

FWIW, the seller resides in China.

Yes! The fuel bottles left Singapore and arrived in exactly 7 days! They are 2.9" wide; I measured their length to the top of the cap, and it's 7.5625" for my application, not 6.3".:geek:

Whereas my 18oz. bottle wiggled loosely in my caged bottle holder, these fuel bottles are VERY tight fit, enough to scrape its paint off. :geek:

I like that it fits so tightly and perfectly.:devilish:

I measured its contents, and it is exactly 18 oz.:geek:

I'm VERY HAPPY I bought these bottles!

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Awesome, thanks for being the guinea pig, and I am glad it worked out. I am curious, are they 6.3" without the lid? Ordered some, and I don't even have a MB yet!

When I first mixed up some fuel and gas to run my 2 stroke, I used an empty half gallon apple juice container lol! The bad thing was that the gas actually looked similar to apple juice in the container. I quickly poured it into my tank however and threw out the jug. I did get a few strange stares while filling it up at the pump though!

Anybody found anything better than the MSR type bottles for fuel?

I'm plotting an extended self-supported tour with 2 bikes, and because of some of the areas we'd traveling through, I wanted to make sure we had enough fuel to go at least 150 miles on what we were carrying. That means an auxiliary tank or putting a fuel can into the cargo trailer.

The MSR type bottles are great when you know there is a gas station within 30 miles, but to get enough of them into the cargo trailer would be tricky--they don't stack vertically well. Mixing fuel in a gallon can would also be a lot easier than filling a dozen 22 oz containers too.

The problem is that the standard 1 gallon plastic gas cans are prone to leaking w/expansion & contraction...and will be in the cargo trailer with our camping gear.

I'd love to find a "miniature" version of the 5 gallon jerry can like I used to have strapped onto my Jeep...but I don't want to carry 5 gallons of gasoline around either!

I'd love to find a "miniature" version of the 5 gallon jerry can like I used to have strapped onto my Jeep...but I don't want to carry 5 gallons of gasoline around either!

a quick search on eBay and I found this: 1 Gallon Metal Gas Can so smaller metal cans exist. Since it it clearly older, you would probably want to assume it should be "restored"-- You can buy gas tank sealant epoxies for restoring vintage motorcycles, so that would probably work on something like this.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Rear rack mounted gasoline tank....dax has them listed on occasion. I have two of them and love them. They carry about 3/4 gallon of fuel and with .5 gallons in front, I have easy 150 mile range. Both have fuel lines with their own shutoff valves that are connected together with a Vacuum "T" fitting near the carb....actually one bike has more of a "Y" fitting for easier flow down to the carb. Vacuum fittings seem to be holding up find to the gasoline with no leaks yet.

Try a good old cheap stainless steel water bottle with the screw in plug that you can buy at any major drug store for like $5 to $8 bucks....
they work.
BBB

I still have those two fuel bottles that I purchased on ebay for $5.99 shipped. One has never seen fuel

I USED to carry 18 oz of fuel in my bottle, along with my HT four-liter tank. After awhile, you realize how much gas you REALLY need to carry on an every day basis. I don't like to fill my tank to the brim, because it's too messy. Didn't need the extra 18 ounces reserve, either. I always worried how old the reserve gas was. I finally realized that no matter where I ride on a regular basis, there's always a gas station within a few blocks.

For me, there is no need to lug around reserve fuel with a four-liter gas tank.

Sooo, instead of having reserve gas, I simply carry 2 ounces of oil in my MSR reserve bottle. I also fill and mix my fuel at the Chevron station. So I pull into the station and pump a few ounces into the reserve bottle. While I'm pumping three quarts of gas into my HT tank, I pour the mixed oil in.

Less mess, and I don't need to wonder how old the gas in the reserve bottle is. I usually visit the Chevron station every six days, and it is along the way home from work.

Last edited:
Back