engine side transmission w gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcano6979

Local time
9:30 AM
hello, i was wondering, why coudnt you flip a hd hub around and use a 7 spd cassette or whatever u would use for bike gears on the engine side? Then use a normal one spd freewheel on the pedal side? This would allow you to shift gears on the engine side without a jackshaft kit, ie no extra rotating parts , and much simpler. If its an issue with the hub not accomodating it this way , then maybe someone can make a hub that would. or a motorcycle type trans that is on the motor itself. Just asking because it seems to me a way better way of implicating a drivetrain. Tell me what you think.

The freewheel would be backwords. The chain you would have to use would brake
All most right A way.

why?

How would the chain break? it holds up with the sbp kit? if the freewheel is backwards maybe reverse it or mount it backwards with a reverse thread? I may try to make this happen

The chain may not break but it may not run on the sprockets without some serious modding or finding a completely different drive sprocket that has much thinner teeth. Otherwise the teeth will just skip over the chain and nothing will happen. The rear sprockets are on a freewheel already as you know. The dogs, pawls, teeth whatever you wish to call them are setup to grab in only one direction. Turning it around makes it so it runs in reverse or if you were coasting at all times. BTW Freewheels are more like ratchets. I suppose you could just simply weld the sprockets on the hub and be done with it. Then there is a problem of adding a derailleur. Most bikes are not setup to have derailleurs on the left side. Unless you manage to find an ancient derailleur that the axle held it into place. But again a skilled welder can fix that little problem. If you want to try this go ahead. I would love to see this come to light. Even better post pics.

I also should have mentioned the gears are not quite right. 28-14 tooth usually don't quite cut it.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Even if you did get the freewheel to work you would still need further gear reduction (jackshaft) to get the setup to work. Hmm, let me think, who makes something like that....SBP!

Hey, I have an idea for you jcano - get yourself a stack of HT rear sprockets ranging from 50+ tooth to 32 (or whatever the largest/smallest sizes are) and weld up your own jumbo casette :unsure:

yes , the point is to eliminate the jackshaft, im talking about creating a simpler drivetrain with shiftable gears. I am looking for ideas, so far the rear hub looks like ill have to make a cassette of my own, on a sprag, maybe out of an automatic car trans. then comes the derailer ugh.

Very cool idea - if you get it to work, it'd undoubtedly be a popular mod.

I've often thought it'd be nice even just to have 2 speeds on the motor side, maybe a 44T and a 32T.

When I've ridden bikes with the SBP shift kit, I felt like the gear ratios were too close together. Rather than having 7 really close gears, I'd rather have 2 or 3 gears with wider range.

If you have A idea good or bad. You can be sure some one
else had the same idea. The fact that their none on the market
should tell you some thing

Jeez, why the doom and gloom Cigron? Just because it's not on the market doesn't mean you have to abandon all hope. Little problems can be sorted out if you just think them through. Sometimes you may even need a little help. I was told there was no way i was ever going to get an electric motor to work on a full suspension bike unless i used a hub motor. Well guess what i have a very operational, full suspension electric bike. It looks bad but operates pretty darn well. I have put on 587.35 miles in one month. Total time has been 6.51.06. Guess the attachment went through after all.

Attachments

• Dyno Electric.jpg
    Dyno Electric.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back