Huffy Cranebrook problems need help

Ron, thanks for that info. Your set up looks great. I have a question, you put the chain idler differently. What are the pros and cons of this? Themotorbikeguy, did you change the rear wheel because it was rubbing? how much did the freewheele cost you? do you have any other suggestions for this bike? Thank you all for helping.

I don't know if there are pros or cons... My pro was that if it got loose by any means it would be in a downward position, and maybe not get into the spokes as easily. Could be that it doesn't make any difference. I need to rise that engine up, but will wait till I install a shift kit and do it all at once...I'll also change the chain tensioner at the same time...I bought one from Tractor Supply.

Huffy Cranbrook problems need help

Ron, I like your rear brake addition, I only added the front one but still need to add the rear one. As to the bolts hitting the brake arm, I counter sunk the holes and used flat head allen screws with nylock nuts.
You may not need a tensioner at all with a shift kit other than the one that comes with the SBP kit. Do you find the Cranbrook to be a rather hard riding bike, a bone shaker?
Woody

Counter sinking the holes sounds interesting. The cranbrook can be a rough ride. I live in New Olreans and we have the WORST streets in the country because our city is sinking. I wouldnt mind if the reoad were good. Its not too bad, then again, my usuall ride is a trek road bike that I race with.

We have great roads here and still my bike can be rough. It is NOT a main means of transportation by any sort, although at times I do go to the store on it. It's a toy and hobby. More so a hobby as I'm always trying to come up with different ideas to make this hobby better, have less problems, and more enjoyable. I feel sorry for those that HAVE TO use this form of transportation as their one and only. After my shift kit I think I'll spring for a springer front. If you look here http://www.motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=1014&pictureid=6611 Mikes bike ended up with a springer front and he not only can tell a big difference but it was inexpensive...about $50.00. Just something more to tinker with. All told at the moment I have less then $200.00 in it so far...Have had it for a little over a year. My son and I take 20+ mile trips together. We have a great park here (Oak Mountain), it's about a 1,300' climb.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Cranbrook Sprocket Install.

??? Help ........ PLEASE ASSIST ???

Im having problems mounting the ragmount sprocket:

a. rubber discs seem too thick
b. rubber discs and metal banana attachers dont all align up,
(hitting part of hub/ sprocket too)
c. sprocket brake bar seems like it will hit the bolt heads when installed.
(some posted no mod./bending of cb arm required)

1. (went to a machine shop, and he wanted $45.00 to $70.00 to increase the sprocket hole size on 2 sprockets. ---> At this point, that option is cost prohibitive, knowing you can get a adapter, sprocket for $50.00 from PIRATE)

2.PIRATE is out of stock...it really does sound too painfully familiar.
--->JIIIIIIM! get your product out to Justin!

I've decided to either not reinstall dust cap,OR install it if it fits. (i dont want to grind down the dust cap.)

Im getting a little bit frazzled.

Sprocket concave or convex side out, whatever works.

Can anyone share several detailed PICS please of installed sprocket? and go over it with me?

I feel so inept, so stupid right now.

The instructions say 2 hours total build time - UNREAL...
I spent 4 "dry fitting"sprocket and I didn't even install a single thing!!! (not to mention the dozens of hours online trying to research the build.)

Sorry if i'm ranting.

Thanks for all your help in advance Guys/Gals. :)

Huffy Cranbrook problems, need help

Hi OCC
The hole in the rear sprocket is too small to fit around the dust cap etc. You can grind it out although it's a good bit of metal to remove.

Make sure your rubber gaskets are of a uniform thickness and not wedge shaped. Have you tried lining up the horseshoe shaped pieces and the holes with every thing before putting it on the wheel? It may take some jiggling but they should go. I had one set that was thinner in places but the vendor replaced them with out a problem.
The brake arm will hit the bolt heads, it will need to be bent into a dogleg shape to clear the sprocket and the bolts. You can relieve some of the bending by replacing the bolts with flat head screws (allen head) Counter sink the heads.
I think Ron (alfisherman) has a video of reshaping the sprocket hole.
Cranbrook was the first bike I did and it did require some re-engineering but made a nice bike when finished. I did find it a rather hard ride on my bony old A**
You will need a different front mount as well, they are not that hard to make from c channel or bent flat stock. I did not drill a hole in the frame.
Sorry I cannot offer pics as the bike was stolen last saturday afternoon.
I hope this helps.
Woody

I hope you find your bicycle. Im sorry to hear.

Thank you Woody :) for your info.

I was thinking about going to Harbor Frieght and buy a drill press, but I dont think that increasing the inner hole size of the sprocket will help it be installed any easier, as ive disassembeled the entire real axel, and removed the dust cap on the brake arm side.

Ill follow your lead, and call for a replacement rubber circle thinga ma jigggy.

Back