O.K. to ride in Colorado

Local time
12:52 AM
This is straight from the DMV site
Low-Power Scooter information effective October 1, 2009

The following is effective October 1, 2009:

-Creates a definition for Low-power Scooter 42-1-102(48.5)
◦Self-propelled vehicle designed primarily for use on the roadways with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, no manual clutch, and either of the following:
■A cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters if powered by internal combustion; or
■A wattage not exceeding four thousand four hundred seventy six if powered by electricity.
Low-power scooter shall not include a toy vehicle, bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, wheelchair, or any device designed to assist mobility-impaired people who use pedestrian rights-of-way.-Creates a definition for Electrical Assisted Bicycle 42-1-102(28.5)
◦Vehicle having two tandem wheels or two parallel wheels and one forward wheel, fully operable pedals, an electric motor not exceeding 750 watts of power and a top motor powered speed of 20 mph.
-Creates a definition for Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device (Segway) 42-1-102(28.7)
◦Self-balancing, nontandem two-wheeled device, designed to transport only one person, that is powered solely by an electric propulsion system producing an average power output of no more than 750 watts.
-Modifies the definition of toy vehicle to eliminate the wheel diameter and to exclude off-highway vehicles or snowmobiles 42-1-102(103.5).
-Modifies the definition of vehicle to include an electrical assisted bicycle or electric personal assistive mobility device 42-1-102(112).
-Clarifies the definition of motorcycle to specify that it does not include low-power scooter 42-1-102(55).
-Clarifies the definition of motor vehicle to specify that it does not include low-power scooter 42-1-102(58).
-Deletes the definition of motor-driven cycle 42-1-102(56).
-Deletes the definition of motorscooter and motorbicycle 42-1-102(59)(a) and motorized bicycle 42-1-102(59)(b).-Requires the operator of a low-power scooter to possess a valid driver's license.
-Requires a low-power scooter to be registered by the Department of Revenue. Registration will be evidenced by a decal issued by the state office that is valid for three years.

The following is effective July 1, 2010:

-Requires the low-power scooter owners to have insurance upon registration and pay the motorist insurance identification fee.
-Allows Motor Vehicle Dealers or Used Motor Vehicle Dealers to act as an authorized agent of the department for the purposes of registering low-power scooters.
-Requires the owner of a low-power scooter to have complying insurance to operate the low-power scooter.
Note the deleation of the def. of motor bicycle and motorized bicycle. There hasn't been an addition of definition of MB's in the 2010 laws. Ride on!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK?

Hi GoodVibrations,

I don't see how this does anything but put Motor-assisted bicycles in the Low-power Scooters category. I find this deeply disturbing. Please Help me understand.

Cheers,
Kirk

Hi GoodVibrations,

I don't see how this does anything but put Motor-assisted bicycles in the Low-power Scooters category. I find this deeply disturbing. Please Help me understand.

Cheers,
Kirk

I know it's several years after this thread was active...but from what I've read in other threads...if has an engine and you're not handicapped with a Rascal Medicaid scooter...you are forced to insure and get that sticker. Here in 2014...I am trying to get mine roadworthy...but NO ONE will write a policy on an MB which doesn't come out of a factory with a VIN number. Even a company out of Florida who insure bicycles will insure an "Electric" bike...but they claimed to have never heard of a gas assist and will not touch them. To add to the confusion...you can flip-flop between different city/county/state offices and each of them will give you a different story. The truth of the matter is that NO ONE knows what's going on and they really don't care...except to get as much money out of you as possible.

Used to like Colorado. Was even considering retiring here...but with these hillbillies taxing everything they can think of as highly as possible (my tags for my 20 year old car is $70 for one year)...I am seriously considering moving some place else. I thought living in Oklahoma and the rest of the Bible Noose was bad...but living here is forcing me to change my mind.

Back